Running PB G4 without PRAM board/battery

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Merzie, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Merzie macrumors member

A long time ago I disassembled my powerbook cause it had a lot of problems, and I lost the cable that goes to the pram board/battery. THe battery is dead anyways.

I plan on using this machine as a simple "airport express"-esque itunes music player controlled by my ios device with Remote. display is bad, keyboard is bad, trackpad, etc. I will shed the os of anything unneccessary and optimize for shear itunes playback performance and that's it.

Anyways, can I ditch that pram battery board without any real issues?

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

My guess is it will fail to boot without a PRAM battery or may have startup issues. But I don't know for sure.

Cheers

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

4. Merzie thread starter macrumors member

Well it's booting fine without the battery and the board (whatever it is) that goes with the battery... just doesn't hold clock obviously.

5. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Thats strange...I thought they wouldnt boot without the PRAM

6. Merzie thread starter macrumors member

Again, I'm not sure the pram is on this battery board. I would suspect anyways that the computer would overwrite something upon boot if the pram was present.. otherwise it would leave it as it was before.

I would imagine the system woudl have problems over the long term, but I'm only using it for itunes streaming with a power adapter.

idk

7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

no idea on your system, but have a g3 powerbook (pismo) that has not had a pram battery in it for about the last 7-8 years, and works just fine. i put a script to sync the clock in the startup folder, and i've never had a problem.

i think for what you're going to use it for, it will work fine. best of luck.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The PRAM is on the logic board. If the battery is not present, you will lose your time every time you restart, that's about it. No harm, really, just annoyance.