Running PC games on iMac with VMware

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Steve-Jobs, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Hi, I have an iMac 21.5'' 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory. And I also have VMware Fusion running windows Xp.
    So my question is is it possible to play Fifa 2011 and COD Black Ops using VMware or is there any other way to make it work for Mac?

Thanks

2. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

If the games don't natively run on Mac, then you will need to use bootcamp/vmware/parallels and etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Unless theres a separate Mac version released, it wont work on Mac.

And Its highly doubtful you could run a game as demanding as Black Ops or FIFA 11 very well in a Virtual Machine.

Bootcamp is your answer.

4. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Thanks for the answers. Isn't bootcamp same as VMware? I never used Bootcamp. Can you give more info about how to make it work?

Thanks

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Boot Camp is just allowing your Mac to dual boot between OS X and another OS, in my case I have Windows 7 installed on another partition. This would be better for gaming because Windows can take full advantage of the actual hardware instead of just an emulation that VMware or Parallels use.

Boot Camp Assistant provides an easy to use GUI to partition your hard drive to allow you to install Windows on. It also provides you with instructions that you can print to guide you along.

Boot Camp Assistant can be found in your Utilities folder. Check it out. :)

Always make sure that you have a good backup when using Boot Camp. Even though I have never had any problems when using it, you never know what can go wrong.

6. Steve-Jobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Thanks all for help. I'll install bootcamp tonite and will write a review.

Cheers.