Running Raid 0 in New 15 inch MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Guy Mancuso, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Currently I am running Raid 0 in my 2010 I7 2.66 laptop with 2 OWC 200gb Extreme drives. I just ordered a 15 2.3 8gb ram quad yesterday with a 500gb 7200 which i will rip out along with the optical drive. I also ordered from OWC a new optical bay bracket since my old one only fits 2 out of 3 screw holes. So thought I would get a new one anyway.

So question is anyone running Raid 0 and is the OWC bracket fitting okay.

2. Guy Mancuso thread starter macrumors 6502a

and yes i am a pig. Heavy duty pro photographer doing massive raw processing on 40 mpx files. Which the quads will help me immensely.

3. dime21 macrumors 6502

Raid 0 is an OSX software feature. It has nothing to do with the model of laptop you are using. So long as you have two physical drives, OSX will be able to use them in a RAID 0 configuration.

As for the OWC bracket... call them and ask. It's their product, they should be able to tell you. This new MBP chassis is nearly identical to the previous one, so I would guess that it fits. If you want a definitive answer, call OWC.

4. Skybar macrumors member

5. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I also did the Optibay surgery last night on a 2011 and it is fine. It is a better config of screws and plates around the Superdrive than the original 2008 unibody but basically the same.

So photographers running small SSDs without data drives -- how do you split up your catalogs? Do you only keep your "active" catalogs on your laptop with your archived catalogs on a storage RAID? I keep a HDD data drive in the second bay because I haven't wanted to split up my catalog yet.

6. Guy Mancuso thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys appreciate the answers.

On data everything is offloaded to a Drobo for permanent backup. Also a 1tb external for like working files for a couple months or until filled than replaced with another. Looking forward to Tbolt and maybe a 2TB drive for speed would be very handy. Right now files will sit on desktop to be worked on since i have about 200gb free. One reason I went Raid 0 is it gives me a lot of playing room on desktop. Besides the speed increase

7. TheHoff macrumors 6502

Well I'll tell you what I do for storage if you want; it is cheap, effective, and as fast as anything else out there (aside from the announced Thunderbolt/SSD storage).

I built a linux webserver (well I bought a rack server from Craigslist and gutted it) and I have a RAID 10 in the server that I connect to via wired 1-Gig ethernet. They communicate over Appletalk seamlessly and the speed saturates the ethernet connection (125 Mb/s). It couldn't get any faster unless I used SSDs for the storage array, too. It feels just like the storage drives are inside the laptop, really. So I plug in the ethernet and I have what feels like an internal RAID 10 (4TB made from 8TB of drives).

The total cost was about $350 + the drives.

8. Guy Mancuso thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice idea , thought about a server setup for awhile now with ethernet connection. Want to see now with Tbolt what setups they come out with. The Drobo is turtle slow for sure but I don't usually download or work from it just write to it but would love a faster solution. Apple did us no favors by ripping out the express card slot. I used to use e-sata 2 generations ago. For photographers and video folks storage isa big issue that needs great solutions.

9. miata macrumors 6502

10. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Since the new MBP runs the new 6GB Sata and the new Vertex 3 SSD is coming out soon I would just stick with that. It should be plenty quick this way. That should be my next set up :D

11. TheHoff macrumors 6502

But then don't you just want two of them to get 1 GB/s? :eek:

12. Marklarry28 macrumors newbie

I've an i7 2.66GHz with 8GB RAM and 2 Intel G2 160GB SSD in a RAID. What a setup.

The only problem is, once you get that you never go BACK!!! :)
    Outstanding performance.

13. miata macrumors 6502

This must be the same 2010 model that I have. I've had a OWC 120 GB SSD unit in mine and just ordered a matching drive with the Data Doubler. I really need to additional capacity, but it will also be interesting to see what kind of performance I will get with RAID 0.

Mark - do you know if the performance issues documented by diglloyd have been resolved? Did you do a comparison between SSD with and without RAID 0? The other thing you could do is see if there is a performance different with and without a FW800 device connected.