running Reason 4 on Macbook

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by theunseen, Jul 27, 2008.

1. theunseen macrumors newbie

theunseen

Does anybody have any experience running Reason 4 on a late 2007 Macbook? I am looking at ordering the program and, while I meet all the system requirements, I'm concerned that it might not run like I need it to (flawlessly) which could be a concern especially in live performance. Here's some quick specs:

13.3" display
    2 GB ram
    2.2 Ghz Core2Duo
    160 GB hard drive + .5 TB external

Or should I look into selling my Macbook and buying a MBP?

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It will run fine. It was more than fast enough on my 1.83 GHz 1st gen MBP.

3. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

I agree. It will run great on that spec Mac. It's not an especially system resource hungry app considering what it can do. If you were using an older PPC Mac on the other hand it would be another matter. It's less efficient on PPC Macs (As of V4). But Intels are more than up to the job.

4. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

It will run great on any Core Duo chip or better so you won't have any problem with that setup. I would highly recommend upgrading to 4GB of RAM if you can though. Don't pay Apple for the upgrade though, order the RAM online for less that $100 and install it yourself.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You don't need 4 gigs of RAM, 2 gigs will be more than enough...

6. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

Maybe some people don't but I know I couldn't do without it. Since its so inexpensive I recommend people get it if they can because it adds to resale value and its better to have it than not.

7. theunseen thread starter macrumors newbie

theunseen

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Reason 4 & a heap of samplers & Dr.Rexs, Logic Pro 8 + about 30 channels of audio and a few plugins on each channel still doesn't use up my 2 gigs of RAM.

9. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

Well, you can never have too much ram. And it's cheap so it doesn't hurt to have more than you need.
    However, my iMac which I use for Reason 4 has 2gb, and it is plenty. I won't upgrade it further any time soon.

10. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I agree, there's nothing wrong with too much RAM, but there's no point in going over 2gb atm IMO.

11. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

If you also intend on editing video, you'll need the max. And if you happen to run Izotope plugins in your DAW, they're pretty processor and RAM intensive. Especially Ozone.

12. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

None of which relates to Reason 4 on a Macbook.

13. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

To the contrary. I run Reason 4 on my MBP Rewired into Pro Tools, while running Ozone as a plugin. Without a hiccup.