Running rMBP at max resolution?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theuserjohnny, May 31, 2013.

1. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

I remember there were guides to do this when it first released but I can't seem to find any to help me! I just want to actually try it out for a few weeks rather than a few minutes see if my eyes would ever adjust to it!

Thanks!

2. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Heres a link http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/18/3-ways-to-run-a-retina-macbook-pro-at-2880x1800-native-resolution/

3. thornguy macrumors regular

Was playing around today at a best buy comparing the cmbp and rmbp screens. I noticed the different resolution settings and the "Best Retina".
    What resolution does the retina run in at "best"?
    What's the point of having the ultimate high res if you can't run in it?
    Is it just for external setup?

Confused. Again!

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It's the equivalent of 1440x900, the original resolution of the 15" MBP (excluding Hi-Res BTO option).

It's to make things appear more clearly and more defined that before. If I was looking a text on a 1440x900 screen versus a Retina display running at equivalent of 1440x900, text would not appear as pixelated, jaggy, blurry on the Retina. It would, to some extent on the 1440x900 display.

5. thornguy macrumors regular

I did notice that. Especially in zooming in on text in Safari. One of my reasons for looking was I couldn't reason out how the hi-res could possibly be useable on a 15" screen. I'd played around with the store displays but never noticed the resolution settings.

Even bumping the rMBP down to low resolutions the screen look crisper than doing the low res on a cMBP.

6. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Technically, the Retina is always running at max resolution on the desktop. What you're asking is how to get the desktop to run at a 1:1 pixel scale. :cool:

The URL above provides multiple ways to achieve this. You may need a magnifying glass. :D

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It is high resolution. Resolution is the pixel count. A 15" rMBP has 2880x1800 physical pixels.

Think back to iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS. The screen's physical dimensions stay exactly the same, the number of pixels is doubled in each dimension (x and y axis) BUT the GUI elements are physically the same size BUT has 4x the pixels in the same physical area/space as before. If you measure a button on the screen to be 1 inch long, it still is 1 inch long. Except there are 4 times the number of pixels for the button.

This means text size doesn't change, just the number of pixels making up each letter. This time around, you have 4x the number of pixels making up a letter of the same size on the screen as before. Thus, it looks crisper, smoother, clearer, no blur, no pixelation. Pixelation can be seen because you can discern each individual pixel. Pixels are square, thus a circular, curvy graphical element (like text or buttons) will appear rough and blocky. Increase the pixels to 4x but still keep same physical area, it's much harder to see the individual pixels, aka no pixelation.