Running Safari (or other) in a separate environment/user

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sandrokan, Nov 30, 2016.

1. sandrokan, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016

sandrokan macrumors newbie

sandrokan

Hi,
    I use gmail with safari browser, and I am not very happy of using the same browser for other purposes *.
    So my question is: is it possible to create a separate environment (or a new user, or any other way) on my 10.9.5 osx, so that I can run an instance of safari://gmail and an instance of safari://every_other_web_address ?
    And, of course, those 2 don't share any cookie or cache or anything.

Thank you in advance
    Alex

[Edit] I just did some progress by creating another "user2", then sudoing to user2 and launching safari from terminal, however I am not sure this is the best approach: in fact, in the new safari instance I can't, for example, drag and drop attachments to my gmail "new message" window (of course). Is there a better approach for my privacy problem?

* For example, this morning I was googling for the address of one shop, and I realised that google maps knows where I live, because it suggested the route from "home" before I put my home address in the box. I am not sure it is because of the wifi, because then I did the same search with firefox (I clear the cache and cookies of firefox every time it shuts down) and with firefox it seemed that google maps could not recognise my "home" location.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Without knowing your reasons responses here might not make sense.

But...have you tried accessing Gmail through a separate, "Private" Safari window?

3. sandrokan thread starter macrumors newbie

sandrokan

Thanks for answering! The reason is privacy, I made an example of what I would like to avoid in the notes after the message.
    Private browsing is not very comfy, as I have to log in to gmail every time.

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you're logged into Google in a browser any website attached to Google will know who you are. If you use a separate browser application NOT logged into Google, then Google won't presume to know you and it sounds like you know this via the Firefox experience. If it's privacy from Google you're concerned with then you'd be better off avoiding their services.

The answer to your original question is "no" regarding separate Users at the same time in Safari...and I have no idea what you created with your Terminal exploits.