Running same program twice possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Antrak, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Antrak macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I got a question here. I'd like to run a program 2x at the same time. The program I wanna run twice is World of Warcraft with running 2 accounts at the same time and all that. I know that its possible to just open WoW up 2x on windows based PC's but is it possible on the mac too?

Thanks in advance :),

Antrak

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I suppose a lot depends on the program design-- Toast for instance is specifically designed to let you run two copies of it at the same time. When it comes to WOW I think a lot depends on whether it was designed to use independent data storing (in other words separate prefs for each user) or not.

Worth a try- then you can come back and share the results. :)

3. Antrak thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried opening the WoW app after I already had a instance of the program running, but it just puts me back to that instance of the program. In windows if you had one instance running and if you clicked on the WoW app again, it would load up a new instance of the program. Just got this MBP so I'm not really a exp'ed mac user. :D:apple:

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You may have to copy the install or at least make a duplicate of the app file that you click on to launch it. So try making a copy and then you should be able to do it.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

6. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

There are a couple of ways: 1) Use the terminal (if you know what you're doing) 2) Duplicate the app in the Finder and run the copy that way.

--Eric

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I've been doing this since last year. The method is very simple.

right click > duplicate.

Simple.

The only time this poses an issue is after patch time. If the app is patched, you should re-duplicate the app.

I have 2 aliases, one for one app and one for the other.

8. Antrak thread starter macrumors newbie

Great guys! Thanks alot for the help!
    The copying the app method didn't work for me and gave me a error, but the article links helped alot and now I'll do it by opening it in the terminal. I love you guys <3. Thanks!

Antrak

__________________ Edit
    Oooh! The duplicate button! Hadn't discovered that yet! :) That works like a charm and is way less of a hassle then the terminal method. Thanks a ton!

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

That's odd. If I was home I'd do a quick screen cast to show it working but I think most people know it 'does' work, odd your system won't allow it.

Heck, I've multi-boxed 3 apps by just using the duplicate/copy method of the app.

Anyway, as long as you got it running great.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think possibly it might have something to do with locked access to library files -- that is, it might not be his/her system but rather an aspect of the app in question that prevents it from being run in duplicate copy. But I'm not sure.

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

WoW will allow multiple instances running, as I've stated (since he's trying to do the same thing I'm doing with the same program) I can run 3 instances by using a copied *.app file.

12. Antrak thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah well, duplicate button works for me so that's fine.
    Thanks for all the help :)