Running Shoes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by durruti, Jun 4, 2015.

1. durruti, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015

durruti macrumors regular

durruti

Anyone recommend good brands of running shoes?

For wide feet and high instep.

Anyone try Puma Faas?

2. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

New Balance. I have wide feet and that is all I use. And I've had more than one podiatrist tell me they are great for your feet. Last time I had shoes from other than NB was the 90s. Early 90s.

3. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Unleash you want to get custom made shoes, New Balance is the way to go.

4. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I used to wear a lot of New Balance, but for running I switched to Brooks. They have a better fit for my feet - I have a moderately wide but extremely flat foot. To accommodate my orthotics, I need a deeper heel pocket so my heel doesn't slip out of the back of the shoe. Shoes are such a personal choice. I went to a dedicated running store and was fitted. Yes, the shoe was more expensive there, but the extra service from someone who knew what they were talking about was worth every penny.

5. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Exactly. I've been a runner for more than 40 years. When you find the right shoe, you'll know it. A running store gives you your best shot at finding that shoe.

Then, of course, the shoe company stops making it.

6. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

BINGO! Or they decided to "refresh" it by giving a whole new shoe the same name as the old one. Brooks did that to me a couple years ago.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Like others have said, go to a store that specializes in running shoes. Some even have treadmills and the like so they can look at your gate etc. The last thing you want is a shoe that is not meant for your style of running and you end up hurting yourself (knees, back, feet, ankles).

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I bought a pair of $20 off brand Nike's. A year later and they still have tread and haven't loosened at the seams. I'm not running marathons, but about 6-8 miles a week is put on them.

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

This was going to my advice. Go to a good running store, they'll help you find the perfect shoe. Brands' dimensions and features change over time, they'll know what's what.

I've usually gone and had good luck with Asics or Saucony. It really depends on your foot shape and what you're looking for.

10. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I wear Brooks Beasts and have for about ten years but you do need to go to a running store and actually get fitted.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

As someone with very wide feet, I too can recommend New Balance. Most of their models are available in wide which is a godsend.

I'm not too keen on most running stores' ability to find a good match for you though. Their primary motivator is to sell you shoes repeatedly, after as little mileage as possible. My recommendation is to buy a shoe with as little support as possible with the primary goal being to be comfortable, and not give you blisters or hot spots anywhere. Unfortunately this can only be determined after running 15-20 miles in them, so buy from a store that has a good return policy. If they won't let you run outside in them and return them, find somewhere that will.

12. zyr123 macrumors 6502

13. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I've been wearing Ecco shoes for work for the past 7 years or so and they're great. After 10-12 hours on my feet they don't hurt at all. They also make running shoes but I've never tried them. Just throwing that out for something else you can try. I know their golf shoes are supposed to be pretty popular.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Every foot is different, I'd recommend going to a store that specializes in running shoes (avoiding the giant chain type stores). Around Boston there are Marathon sports and what they do is analyze how you walk/run and then recommend a good running shoe.

For instance, I used to wear New Balance but after visiting them, they recommended Brooks due to how I run. These fit better and feel better because the padding is setup in a such a way that fits my running style.

Those running shoes may not be a good match for you, so that's why getting expert opinions is important, they can see if you under-pronate, over-pronate, have high or low arches and based on what they know and how you run.

15. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

I wear Nike on the road and inov8 when I am off road and hill running