Running slow after upgrade vom 10.6 to Mavericks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Huiu, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Huiu macrumors member

I have just installed Mavericks (upgrade from 10.6) on my MacBook Pro 13" (2010) and it is running very slow. I even have to wait for two seconds to open a folder. Therefore I wondered if my 'cache', whatever this may be, or something else is not working properly. Is there a way to 'clean' my mac?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

My wife's 15" was the same, fixed when I found an Apple support article advising to delete the cache files, so forcing it to rebuild those files - back to full speed again :)

3. Huiu thread starter macrumors member

Do I need another program to delete the cache files? Or could you post a link to the article you mentioned? Unfortunately I have no idea how these things work.

4. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Clear the cache by holding shift down on boot to go into safe mode. Will take a lot longer to start. Restart after fully booted and see if it improves. Running your apps will be slow at first but Mavericks will be caching them.

If not reboot again to recovery HD by holding option. Run disk utility there on the unmounted OSX boot disk, verify disk, then repair disk permissions.

5. Huiu thread starter macrumors member

The HD was broken and is now repaired. Now I am afraid that more things could be broken. What do I have to do to make a 'full analysis' of my mac?

6. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Reboot and hold down the D key almost immediately and start the Apple Hardware Test, I think your model has it built in if you are worried.

If the disk repair and permissions are repaired and it's fine, don't worry about it, perhaps do a time machine backup as insurance in case it goes slow again.

7. Huiu thread starter macrumors member

Permissions are broken as well. I'd prefer to make a clean installation. However, since I am not at home and won't be for at least two months, I wonderer whether I can safe some of my programs on an external HD and then, after the clean installation, just drop them back.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If you feel that it's slow, get an SSD. Then watch your Mac boot up within 12 seconds.

It booted up in 7 seconds on my rMBP with 1TB SSD.

On my early-2011 15" (512GB Samsung 840 Pro), it booted in 11 seconds.

9. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Permissions nearly always are, I repair mine every few months or so! If you have anything you want to save that is recent you could always use Dropbox, and do the clean install when you get back!