Running slower than normal...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Justibackwardsn, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Justibackwardsn macrumors member

Well, its been 7 months since I bought my MacBook and I absolutely love it. It's been the best computer I've EVER owned. I had a Dell XPS M140 before. It was nice, but I had to format the HDD ever 2 months or so just to wipe away the messiness Windows left behind that bogged down the computer and made it slower. Now, I don't see any point in formatting my computers and re-installing the os just to get better performance out of it.

By this point with a Windows computer I'd start punching the screen in hope that it would make it run faster. While I don't think I'll ever get to that point with this computer, I think it is running a bit slower than it use to.

I just ordered 4gb of RAM that should be coming in any day now, but what I'm asking is how to get the maximum performance out of my computer. What do I need to delete, or repair to make it run just as fast it it use to?

2. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Restarting works wonders.

You could also try running OnyX(simply because it's free)to clean out your system but I doubt it will help much. Because OS X already has a daily weekly and monthly cleaning routine.

Just try restarting if you haven't done so already.

3. Justibackwardsn thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I usually shut down and wait about a minute to boot back up.

A friend of mine told me my computer was running slow because of the 1)start up and 2)the amount of dock icons I have

Well, I don't have anything in start up, but I did have quite a few icons on my dock. Reorganizing seemed to help a little.

4. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

You could try repairing Disk permissions by opening Disk Utility and clicking "repair permissions". I would also reset your PRAM by holding down command+option+P+R on startup. I also use DiskWarrior of Drive Genius 2 every 6 months or so just to de-frag my directory and make sure everything is in good working order.