Running Snow-leopard from external hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zanae, Nov 8, 2012.

1. zanae macrumors newbie

zanae

Dear all,
    I am looking for a fire-wire 800 external hard drive,
    One which is SELF -POWERED, but ( i read ) i will loose some speed in data transfer as some pins are use to transfer energy.,really ?

another option will be one which is connected to a power supply, this one offers more speed, yeap?

now i am using a external hard disk to run snow-leopard using the USB2.0 port and runs like a dream i love it! i guess using the fire-wire 800 port on my mac-book pro will increase speed to my video editing and so on. will it ?
    and i plan to upgrade my 4GB to 8 GB once i need which RAM brand i must buy and do not pay the OVER priced Apple hardware.

(i am in Europe)

Thank you all:)

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Why not just boot of your internal drives? Chances are if you have an slightly older Macbook Pro you can replace your internal drives quite cheaply and easily by yourself.

If you are certain you would like to boot off an external drive, I recommend drives from LaCie. In this case the LaCie d2 Quadra

Realistically, for video editing you should NOT keep the videos on the same drive you are booting off of. For example, if you are running of Snow Leopard and editing video files off of the same drive, the drive is doing two jobs at once. You should have one boot disc, and one "scratch disk" for video editing which is a separate hard drive for holding your video files.

Buying RAM from Crucial is simple and easy.

Good Luck