Running Snow Leopard off a firewire drive

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macdudesir, Aug 5, 2011.

1. macdudesir, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

macdudesir macrumors 6502

I have Lion on my mac, but i have some programs not compatible with it and sometimes it just makes me plain mad. So i wanted to put Snow Leopard on my computer and keep my Lion...I wouldn't use Snow Leopard very much so i don't want to sacrifice more of my internal hard drive space for it...As it is i already have Bootcamp on it taking 250GB leaving on to 750GB for Lion...if i put Snow Leopard on my internal hard drive i would end up giving it 300GB leaving only 450GB for my main partition...I don't see the point in using that much space on my hd when I'm rarely going to use Snow Leopard...I don't mind a little bit of lag when i do use it...So, first, is this even possible? Second, would it be ideal? Have any of you run an OS off a firewire drive? is it completely unbearable? or is it ok? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I just realized that i should have posted this in the OS X forums i do apologize for that..

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Yep, works great. Problem is some FW drives don't spin up on power up so you have to plug it in after the Option key shows boot drives.

3. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome thanks!

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Out of curiosity I put SL on a 16GB class 10 SDHC card. Slow as dirt and lots of pinwheels, but it did work.

5. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

One more question, can i install Snow Leopard on to the external HD using the backup CD's that came with my iMac? (pre-lion mac lol) I know i can install snow leopard with them on my internal HD...I tried it out of curiosity...but i saw somewhere that somebody couldn't use their backup CD's to install on the external...

6. macdudesir, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats good to know :D thanks!

Edit: Dangit double post...my apologies