Running SSD and HDD help please?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JohnHamilton, Jul 16, 2014.

1. JohnHamilton macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook Pro 13" 2011 Intel i5 around 6 months ago I decided to apply a few upgrades so I purchased a Samsung 128GB EVO Pro SSD along with 8GB of RAM installed the RAM no problem and removed my optical drive bay and placed the factory shipped Toshiba HDD in the optical drive bay and put my new SSD in the standard HD slot. All has been working perfectly as I wanted for 6 months using the SSD as the startup disk and keeping all my applications on it whist using the Toshiba HDD for all my media etc. But now when I boot from the SSD none of my applications will load up and is unresponsive after a while my Mac heats up and eventually freezes forcing me to re boot, however when I change my startup disk to the Toshiba HDD everything works fine although much slow naturally as its not running from the SSD, tried fresh install of Mavericks on both drives still same issue. Help please.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sounds like either the new SSD is bad or the drive cable is bad. Pop it open and put the HDD back in the main slot and see if you have troubles still. That will tell you if it is the cable.

The cable failing is a fairly common problem.

3. JohnHamilton thread starter macrumors newbie

4. JohnHamilton thread starter macrumors newbie

I am now getting an error message when I boot from the SSD saying
    "Unapproved caller."
    "Security Agent may only be invoked by Apple software"
    Any ideas ?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Still from the main bay?

6. JohnHamilton thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah still running from the main bay, unusual as I've never had this error before could this be related to a faulty cable ?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure could be. A bad cable give the same symptoms as a bad drive, so hard to tell without the swap I mentioned to narrow things down.

8. JohnHamilton thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll get round to doing the swap soon and get back to you, thanks for the help.

9. JohnHamilton thread starter macrumors newbie

I swapped my SSD into the optical drive bay and used it as the startup disk and it seems to be running as good as new for now, I also tried the stock HDD as the startup disk in the regular HDD slot and it also booted and seemed to be working fine. Should I just leave the SSD in the optical bay ? or is there any advantage of having it in the regular HDD slot, thanks again.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your model has SATA III speeds in both slots, so it won't matter. Odd that they both work now though.

11. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

Any chance you've had unauthorized people using your machine or you had visited some suspicious sites on the internet?

12. JohnHamilton thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't think so it's now perfectly with my SSD in the optical drive and the HDD in the main bay, I've ordered a new SATA cable online for the main bay and will fit it myself hopefully that will fix the issue.

13. JohnHamilton thread starter macrumors newbie

Ordered a new SATA cable online it came today I have just installed it SSD is now in the main drive and HDD in the optical drive running good as new thanks guys.