Running Steam in Lion CS:S

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Maiden24, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Maiden24 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

i had previous windows 7 on boot camp when i was running snow leopard. I had deleted the windows 7 partition and I'm just using lion. I had windows to play games such as counter strike source, team fortress2, and other source games. On windows i would get 60-80 fps on counter strike source (i think for all the source games, bc they run on the source engine). When i play any source game on my mac i get 30 fps, i don't understand why i don't get 60-80 like i do on windows.

Also, in the new iTunes is there any way to backup ur music to discs, like in the previous version. It was under file>library>back up to disc. That's not there anymore

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Windows uses directX and allows game devs to optimize for games....mac doesn't have that luxury...so games tend to run a lot slower.

3. Maiden24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay, is 30 fps fine though on mac or no? What's good fps on mac i guess?

4. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I like an average of 60 since the screen refresh rate is 60hz (or FPS)
    Any more than 60 and you won't be able to tell the difference.

I assume you are running cl_showfps 1

Anyways, 30 is too low and jerky for me. Adjust settings to get 60 is what I do. I always keep my resolution native so that means lowering shadow and other qualities.

30 fps though if you can't notice the difference is fine.

5. nnoob macrumors member

They added OpenGL 3.2 in lion, Apple hasn't done much in the gaming front on Mac OS. Lion is going to get newer OpenGL drivers in the next few updates.
    Also what is your graphic card?

6. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not true. Apple does use an open standard renderer called OpenGL. problem is, not a lot of developers know how to optimize for it, causing slow downs.

As for why Steam games are slower on Mac OS X, I think it uses a translation layer between Direct3D and OpenGL. This makes it be a bit slow. Also, Mac drivers aren't as optimized as their Windows counterparts.

7. Maiden24 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a nvidia geforce gt 330m, i run at my native 1920x1200 and the rest is set by default. most of the options are on high, if i change the res or lower those ill prob get a decent fps.

8. mark28 macrumors 68000

I think Lion runs amazing with CS:Source. I never saw 100+ fps in OS X with everything on high at 1680 x 1050 :D