Running the iPad from an AC adapter

ronaldmcdonald

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
The place I use the iPad the most frequent is right next to an outlet, so using it while plugged in is no hassle at all. So that led me to wonder, if I use it while its plugged in all the time, even if the battery is full... will the iPad just by-pass the battery and draw power directly from the AC adapter, thereby extending the battery life span?

And1ss

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I would run the iPad on battery once a few weeks to drain it out. In my opinion, keeping it on ac power isn't good for it.

Comment

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I'd be willing to bet the battery will outlast the ipad. Just use it!

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Batteries are DESIGNED to be used. Do not charge all the time.

Just use the iPad on battery, and charge overnight when you are low.

Comment

spiderman0616

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2010
I actually heard the best analogy for it at an Apple store--a battery is like a muscle; if you don't use it, it just gets weaker and weaker.

I once used my iPad for 6 straight hours and only got it down to about 50%. The 6 hours was mostly streaming Hulu+, surfing, and reading iBooks. I doubt that you really need to have it on the charger all the time. These things last for days without going dead.

Comment

thelookingglass

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
I agree with the posters above. The battery inside your iPad is going to outlast the number of years you use the device. If you're anything like me, you'll get an iPad 3. You might be successful resisting, but only until the iPad 4. I've long since stopped trying to control myself when it comes to Apple stuff, so these days I just use the heck out of my devices as if they have a one-year lifespan.

Comment

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Hmm, I was of the thought that the battery in the iPad and most devices will eventually die, so to extend this life as far as possible use the adapter when you can, as much as you can, since all power comes from the outlet and not the battery.

Comment

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Here's Apples recommendations for your iPad's battery:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

For the iPad, I find it's battery lasts long enough that even if it were to be used most of the day, the battery isn't going to run down.

Just use the battery during the day - it was made to be used on battery power most of the time. Using the iPad plugged into the wall, at least for me, would suck.

Comment

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
If you rarely use the battery, it will actually decrease the lifespan of the battery! This is true for almost all devices with batteries... like laptops... ipads... cellphones...

Although Apple's batteries are better than most, they will eventually reduce capacity... and this will happen faster if you never use the battery (i.e. if you keep it plugged in all the time). Same goes for laptops.

Like another poster said, the battery is designed to be used. And the ipad battery is very good, so ditch that adapter cable every now and then and enjoy your wireless iPad!

Comment

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
I agree with the posters above. The battery inside your iPad is going to outlast the number of years you use the device. If you're anything like me, you'll get an iPad 3. You might be successful resisting, but only until the iPad 4. I've long since stopped trying to control myself when it comes to Apple stuff, so these days I just use the heck out of my devices as if they have a one-year lifespan.
Exactly. Don't compromise your iPad experience by keeping it connected to a cable all the time, it's just silly and not worth the effort.

Comment

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Hmm, I was of the thought that the battery in the iPad and most devices will eventually die, so to extend this life as far as possible use the adapter when you can, as much as you can, since all power comes from the outlet and not the battery.
leaving it plugged in to ac power is the worst thing you can do for the battery over the long term.

if apple would add software to set charging thresholds, then it would largely alleviate this problem (lenovo has this capability on their thinkpads) but until then, it is a bad idea to leave the ipad always plugged in with the battery fully charged.

Comment

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
leaving it plugged in to ac power is the worst thing you can do for the battery over the long term.

if apple would add software to set charging thresholds, then it would largely alleviate this problem (lenovo has this capability on their thinkpads) but until then, it is a bad idea to leave the ipad always plugged in with the battery fully charged.
Thanks. I'll be more liberal from now on.

But Apple refreshes this thing every year and I'll more than likely sell it before that ever happens. However, for the future users' benefit, I will try my best to keep it off AC.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.