Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightmaresonwax

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Newcastle, England
Hello all.
Just wanted to ask a question to any others who run their MBPs in clamshell mode...
I just got the 2011 15.4" with the 2.3 i7 & 8GB RAM upgrade, and the standard 1440 res screen. Absolutely LOVING it so far.
Today I popped into my local Apple store and picked up an iWires MDP -> HDMI cable, and the Apple wireless keyboard/magic mouse - everything is working brilliantly with my Sony 1080p TV in clamshell mode.
My question is, are there any detrimental effects to running the MBP in clamshell mode for long periods of time?
The reason I got the MBP instead of holding out for the new iMac is the portability factor, but when I'm working from home (which is quite often), I'd like to work with the external Monitor pretty much all the time for the extra screen size/space...
May seem like a silly question but I just don't want to do any long-term damage to it... The only thing I've noticed so far is the fan seems to blow slightly louder when running certain things...
Any help greatly appreciated!

TXBDan

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2008
Boston, MA
Do you really think Apply or ANY manufacturer would design and build a laptop that couldn't be safely run in clamshell mode? Really?

nightmaresonwax

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Newcastle, England
Do you really think Apply or ANY manufacturer would design and build a laptop that couldn't be safely run in clamshell mode? Really?

Okay sarcasm... This is the first laptop I've ever owned and at 2.5k, it's fair to say I want to protect my investment.

No, they're designed to run in clamshell mode without problems, but be sure to run on battery every few days, rather than leaving it plugged in all the time.

Thanks a lot for your help ;)

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY

If this was a forum dealing with laptops that weren't reaching into 1-4k in USD then I would agree but I think people are cautious. It should be added as a sticky or something just as a notice.

hammie14

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
UK
Bit late I know now but its fine!

Apple sell a lovely apple cinema display for this reason which is lovely if you have a spare £918.00 kicking around ;)

As someone said run the macbook pro on battery at least 1 every two weeks or so, this keep the battery in good shape, gets things moving within the battery, if you leave it the battery can fail! From past experience apple are not the best for batteries!

B.T.W good choose with your spec too same as mine :D!!

Just ignore the sarcasm... there is a lot on this forum!

nightmaresonwax

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Newcastle, England
Bit late I know now but its fine!

Apple sell a lovely apple cinema display for this reason which is lovely if you have a spare £918.00 kicking around ;)

As someone said run the macbook pro on battery at least 1 every two weeks or so, this keep the battery in good shape, gets things moving within the battery, if you leave it the battery can fail! From past experience apple are not the best for batteries!

B.T.W good choose with your spec too same as mine :D!!

Just ignore the sarcasm... there is a lot on this forum!

Yeah I was so close to clicking the Hi-Res option, but I knew most of the time I'd be running clamshell to 1080p... The £80 saving can go towards the SSD I'm plotting to buy!!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.