Running two iMacs together..

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bag La Doosh, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Bag La Doosh macrumors newbie

I have a 24" iMac and do extensive video editing as well as manage a website. both of these jobs would greatly benefit from a second monitor. I saw a picture of someone using two 24" Imacs side by side and was intrigued. is there a way to use two as a double monitor? Better question.. Is it possible to link the systems so you have double everything? (wishful thinking)

2. rust.puppet macrumors regular

why not just have a 24" imac and a 24" cinema display? the display sits a inch shorter or so but its much more cost efficient.

3. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

It depends on your intention for linking. Two machines can share data linked by an ethernet cable. You can also do networking with a firewire cable.

4. TrapOx macrumors 6502

5. nadnnerb macrumors newbie

linking two iMacs

I am also interested in linking two iMacs.One nice thing about all these layoffs at work, there are a bunch of iMacs sitting idle. I work on a 24" iMac and would love to hook up another one as a second monitor. possible?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Only the current 27" iMac has the possibility to be used as a regular external display.

You can also use Screen Recycler.

7. illy123 macrumors member

Are you trying to distribute the processing power amongst them or simply have a second screen?

8. nadnnerb macrumors newbie

thanks spinnerlys, that's too bad.

illy123, I was just hoping to get some more real estate. Plus, how bad ass would that look working on two huge iMacs side by side.