Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

detz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Being a developer I often want to try out the latest stuff but it's come to bite me in the ass a few times so it would be nice to have a test environment where I can try out new stuff while leaving a stable version alone. I understand that Apple does not let you run OSX as a virtual machine** so is there any other way I can do this?

**I guess they allow you to run the server so I tried that but it's really really slow in Fusion.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You can install multiple copies and boot to whichever you want at the time. External drives can be very useful for this...

detz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
You can install multiple copies and boot to whichever you want at the time. External drives can be very useful for this...

Well I was hoping I didn't have to restart, I can go the partition route but it's a pain. Unless...can I access the partition through Fusion like you can access a bootcamp partition? :confused:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Well I was hoping I didn't have to restart, I can go the partition route but it's a pain. Unless...can I access the partition through Fusion like you can access a bootcamp partition? :confused:

You can only use Fusion (or Parallels) to run OSX Server. And you already said it was too slow :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.