Running Two Size Monitors on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wdjudd, Jul 25, 2009.

1. wdjudd macrumors newbie

Hi:

I have a Mac Pro and two different size monitors – 19” and 23”. The Mac Pro sees both monitors at the same time as expected. I wish to run the two different size monitors so that the menu bar AND the full desktop area appear on each monitor. If I select “mirror monitors” then the 23” (wide screen) reduces in size to match the 19” monitor (square desktop). What I want to do is to have BOTH monitors show the exact same thing - the Menu Bar and use all of the display area/desktop for each monitor. Other than purchase another new acer 23” monitor is there a way to get both monitors to appear as if they had been connected individually – each with menu and all desktop used? How can I make this happen?

Why do I want to do this? I have two different work stations approximately 20’ apart but I am using the same Mac Pro for both work stations – using wireless mouse and wireless keyboard for the remote work station.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

When mirroring the displays, the lowest resolution will be used across all monitors. LCDs aren't meant to display any resolution besides their main one, so your Mac will compensate by adding black bars around the edges. You can turn this off by disabling overscan, but be warned that it won't look good. You would be better off getting two identical resolution monitors.