Running two SSDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sidstrate, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Sidstrate macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of getting the base 13 MBP with the bto 128 SSD upgrade.

Then using the OWC Data Doubler with 240GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD and 5 piece toolkit to replace the optical drive.

My question is regarding running 2 different SSDs. One SSD would be the apple bto drive (128) and the other would be Mercury Extreme Pro SSD (240).

Any thoughts?

PS - this is about the same price as getting the 256GB SSD bto option.

2. nafinator macrumors newbie

+ 1 on this thread, been thinking about doing the same if I go with a MBP to expand it later on. probably would save a little weight too bumping the optical drive no?

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Good idea, but how would you use them? That is the big question.

I am going to do this when I get mine.

256GB SSD for boot, apps, user data.
    512GB SSD for more storage.

4. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Just curious, why would you use a 512 GB SSD just for storage? That seems like a waste of money to me, since you wouldn't notice a perceivable difference if it's just data.

Personally, I have 2 SSDs (a 128 and a 160) in mine, but that's because I use one for Windows and the other for Mac.

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Storage means different things to different people.

6. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

FWIW, my 120gb Mercury extreme pro startup disk makes tasks that involve working with my 500gb 7200rpm non-SSD drive a heck of a lot faster (than when I was booting off of the non-SSD). Like opening files and browsing the non-SSD disk in the finder. So I'm not sure you will see an incredible speed increase by using two SSD's.

7. ptsube macrumors 6502

You should be fine. I wouldn't recommend a RAID though, you'd lose quite a bit of space even in a RAID 0. However, I personally would set them up in a Concatenated array. This takes both drives and sets them up as a single volume. This makes it much easier to handle your data. You don't have to keep your data separated on to two drives. Your data will be spread across both drives. Just make sure you back up your data often.

Also, the OWC optibay is a waste of money. You can get a generic one on ebay for a third of the price. You don't get the cheap tools, but you can get a decent set at a hardware store for ten bucks. Just get a Torx T6 and T8, and a Philips set.