Running very warm after Lion..

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by nospeed411, Jul 21, 2011.

1. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

So I upgraded last evening and all seems well. Except for the fact that SMC fan control shows my resting temps at 70c...I was usually at or near 40c. Anyone else seeing this? If this continues I may revert back..not worth toasting my MBP over some eye candy.

2. maflynn, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's your fan speeds, maybe you need to reset the SMC? My 13" MBP seems to hover in the 48c range with a fan speed of 3k. When I increase the load it tends to top out at 70c. This is on SL by the way not Lion.

3. nick123222 macrumors member

My 2009 Macbook Pro is actually running a lot cooler under Lion than Snow Leopard. I'm getting temps of about 60C instead of 70-75C that I got most of the time in Snow Leopard. The fan also seems to kick in sooner when the computer is under load - at about 75-80 instead of 85-90. Don't worry about toasting your MBP, it will shut down if it becomes hot enough to cause damage (110C for Core 2 Duo).

4. Regaj macrumors member

After the OS upgrade, Lion needs to re-index your entire drive. That takes awhile, and while it's running it takes a lot of CPU - that's why you see the temps higher than normal. Once indexing completes you'll be fine.

5. fulcrum macrumors newbie

There is definitely a heat issue, and don't throw that Spotlight index excuse at me.

I installed yesterday morning, let it index for hours, and my 2010 MBP was still running a lot hotter than it ever did under Snow Leopard, even with just a browser window open.

So I bit the bullet last night, made a Lion USB drive, and did a clean install, then restored my files from a Time Machine backup. Last thing I let it do before going to bed was let it spotlight index. Wake up 7 hours later, indexing finished hours ago, and I'm still getting higher temperatures and fan noise doing basic tasks. This is on a system with 8GB of RAM and an SSD, too. Indexing was over in like 20 minutes.

And it's not cause the weather outside, either. It's freaking 57 degrees in Seattle.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Indexing is a major undertaking it would seem. Having clean installed Lion 4 times I know that it takes forever. I ran Lion on my Air and now my MBP 13". Both run just as cool.

I think in a future version they will change how spotlight indexing works to make it more efficient. Something.

8. cfurlin macrumors member

cfurlin

It's not an excuse. it's one possible cause. For a lot of us, that was the only issue. My MBP went right back to its usual operating temp after the indexing was complete.

What happens in your little world it not necessarily representative of others.

9. fulcrum macrumors newbie

Yeah, you're such a big boy, aren't you? I guess me and all the other little people in our little world can just thank Steve Jobs for his brilliance and quit pointing out the problems in his latest baby.

10. crizyal macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Iam having the same heat issue with My MBP 13". It was done indexing and still running 20 degrees hotter and fans running at 4500 RPM. I wiped my drive and am now restoring to see if it helps.

11. davedude macrumors member

My MBP13" fans are running at 1996 rpm in Lion as it was in Snow Leopard.

12. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I was getting this as well...2010 15" i5 MBP pushing a 27" ACD was running in the low 60's and fans rarely kicked up past 2999...now, under Lion it is running near or at 70+ and the fans are averaging 3999...I've even had it turn off...:confused:
    I reset SMC and it does seem to be running cooler (mid 60's with fans averaging hi 2000's to low 3000's)...better than before but def higher than in SL...

13. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Can someone explain what spotlight indexing is and whether it's done automatically or if I have to initiate it? I installed Lion yesterday.

14. xtend macrumors regular

15. JFKinDC macrumors newbie

MacBook spinning like crazy and hot as well

I had my macbook on the table this morning while I was eating breakfast and it was making more noise than I have ever heard it make. It's been doing that for the past 3 hours and I installed Lion on the first day. Can't imagine that it would still be indexing 4 days later. I turned it on and off several times and also turned off carbonite. The battery life has never been what apple claimed it was but it was atrocious yesterday when I met some people for a study group.

I have no idea how to check my fan's rpm...

16. jcoffey784 macrumors newbie

my late 09 macbook was only running hot until i installed the fan control preference pane. using factory fan control, my temps would hover around 60C at idle, and with fan control set up, it is around 40-50C at idle depending how long it has sat for. but i crank my fan speed to the max that fancontrol lets me, and the temp thresholds to the lowest it let me. is this good for the fan(s) to run at 3500+ rpm all the time, i dont really know. but i prefer a cool runing computer to a quiet one. this is with 95F outside temps (heat index of 105F), with about 75-80F in my home, laptop sitting on my bed with a glasses case stuffed under the back to raise it up some for airflow.

also, i know it can be frusterating, but the spotlight indexing was also the first thing that came to my mind as well. actually, spotlight indexing has made my computer hotter than any other task i have ever performed with it. dont take things to personally sir, its just an internet forum.