Running video converting program on MBP with lid closed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chuckflip53, Jun 21, 2010.

1. chuckflip53 macrumors regular

I just got a MBP 13" and I want to run some video converting programs while the lid is closed (I don't like the idea of leaving my laptop's screen open at night) but I can't disable sleep mode while the lid is closed. Am I missing something?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Control + Shift + Eject

That is the command to sleep the display but the computer will keep running. You can also set a hot corner for it, or even a mouse gesture with BetterTouchTool

3. tatical macrumors member

Just plug in a keyboard or mouse, & then press a button to run it while the lid is closed.

4. chuckflip53 thread starter macrumors regular

That's just not practical.

@ Hellhammer: while that works in shutting off my display, that still doesn't solve the issue of disabling sleep mode when i close my lid..

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

InsomniaX is perfect for those that want to listen to music with their MacBook lid closed or just want more control over Mac sleep features.

6. sadcamper macrumors regular

Just a thought - is maybe running an intensive program like you are with the lid down asking for an over-heating?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It doesn't solve that but you can keep the lid open then. It's better to keep it open anyway so the heat can dissipate through the keyboard etc

8. iPostpone macrumors member

This works for me. I have a Henge Dock for my MBP 13", and you have to close the screen to put the laptop in the dock. Touching the keyboard or mouse wakes it up just fine.

9. EHVio macrumors newbie

This x10000. The main ventilation is covered by the screen's hinge if the screen is closed.... Leave your screen open and talk to a therapist about your OCD.

10. chuckflip53 thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet checked it out and it works, thanks