running vm ware and bootcamp with vista

Discussion in 'macOS' started by seals, Apr 1, 2008.

1. seals macrumors newbie

i have an imac 2.8ghz

I need to run 3ds max.

I have vm fusion already installed and understand that i need to run max in bootcamp.

if i put bootcamp on the imac should i take off fusion?

will i need to install another vista for bootcamp?

will this mean i have 2 vistas and one os x on my i mac?

what's the best solution here guys?

superb

seals

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If you're not in too deep with Vista yet, I'd reinstall Vista in a Boot Camp partition (and reinstall VMWare, unless you've got other VMs running. You could probably just delete the original Vista bottle and be fine, though). One reactivation, and you'd be done. VMWare auto-recognizes BC partitions, and is as dirt-simple as it comes. It's a single install of Vista then, and no secondary activations.

Maybe someone else will chime in on BC post-VMWare working, but I don't think that it will as a single instance of Vista.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, because VMware Fusion recognizes your Bootcamp partition it's a great idea to have both and have Windows installed on both. When you launch VMware Fusion you will see your Windows virtual machine and bootcamp. You can launch your bootcamp partition from there and Windows will boot. This will be great for drag n drop of files to your bootcamp partition. You can even run your bootcamped Windows from here as well. It won't be as fast your regular virtual machine however it's very convenient for sharing files.