Running VMware Fusion and Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wwwdotcomdotnet, Jan 4, 2008.

1. wwwdotcomdotnet macrumors member

Is it possible to install VMware and still load XP through Bootcamp?

How would I do this? Would I install XP through Bootcamp first and get that all done, and then install VMware? What would I need to do after that?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Thats right, and when you select the install process, booting off the BC partition is an option :)

3. wwwdotcomdotnet thread starter macrumors member

So that means I would just install VMware first then go through the XP installation process and VMware gives you the option to run XP in BC after everything is set up?

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Install XP in Bootcamp and then install VMware fusion, fusion will then give you the option of using your Bootcamp partition.

5. MurphyM macrumors 6502

When you use Fusion to access a Boot Camp partition you won't be able to suspend the Windows session. Which means every time you want to use Windows, even with Fusion, you'll have to restart Windows.

If you use Fusion for a while and get to the point where you don't need Boot Camp any more you can convert Boot Camp to a regular Fusion vm. Then you can delete Boot Camp once you're comfortable.

On the other hand, you might be doing something so hardware intensive that you need Boot Camp. I do some semi-heavy duty stuff in my Fusion vm. I went ahead and deleted Boot Camp.

It's also much easier to backup a regular vm than Boot Camp.