Running VMware on i5 & 8GB mid-13 Air.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by LovelyPenguin, Feb 8, 2016.

1. LovelyPenguin macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I occasionally run a VMware Fusion 5 on a mid-13 Air with i5 and 8GB to use some applications (not heavy) on Windows, but I feel like it's slower than it should be; sometimes light web surfing shows some lags. So I'm thinking I might reallocate resources (CPU and RAM) to make it more optimized speed-wise.

I wonder which one is better: (1) more resources allocated to the VMware so that the resources are better used for the Windows and the applications that run on it, or (2) more resources to the MAC OS, the operating system that runs the VMware, because I think after all it's the MAC OS that is in charge of the machine.

Thanks!

2. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

What are the specs of your VM? It might be that you just need to increase the amount of RAM allocated to it.

3. LovelyPenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

I allocated 1 core of CPU and 4GB of RAM to my VM. Should I increase the amount of RAM? Or maybe the number of CPU cores? I was thinking, if I increase the amount of RAM that my VM uses too much (more than 4GB), then the Mac OS that actually runs the VM doesn't have enough RAM hence slows the overall system down.