Running VMWare with Windows 8.1 off of a MicroSD card?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by petrucci666, Nov 14, 2013.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Search is disabled so I can't do much there, but wanted to see if anyone has any experience running VMWare (Windows 8.1 in particular) off of a MicroSD card.

I'm looking into buying the Nifty MiniDrive and 32GB MicroSD card to run Windows 8.1 on my MBA.

I know there are various classes of SD Cards, so which one would I need to get to run it smoothly?

Thanks!

2. biohead macrumors 6502

UHS-1 MicroSD cards are generally the fastest around I believe - and I think they're not overly expensive now anyway. I picked up a 32GB one for around £16 ($25 w/Tax) a few weeks back. As I'm in the UK, the nifty mini drive costs substantially more than a 32GB card :(

Probably worthwhile going straight for that class - although I've no experience with what you're wanting to do so there's a small possibility something like a Class 4 may have better read/write performance for those sort of operations (unlikely but in some cases they do perform better).