Running win app via Parallels on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ronweathers, Jul 24, 2010.

1. ronweathers macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A306)

I am waiting to purchase a new Mac Pro, when I do, I still need to run some win apps (non games via Parallels). What impacts to the speed of these would one likely see? I plan to spec my new MP with the fastest single chip processor, fastest CPU, and at least 8 gigs ram. Config advice also welcome.

Many thanks

2. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

First of all, parallels sucks, use VirtualBox (FREE)

Second, you can allocate resources for your virtual machine. Your performance should depend on that more than anything else.

3. Roman23 macrumors 6502

You are better off

getting the 2.66 single-quad config and then goto velocity micro and get the W3580 for less than 600 dollars.. You will pay close to 1500-2000 dollars more from the 2.66 to the 3.33.

My machine now has a 3.33 processor in it and its working great!! Why spend 2000 more when you can get the w3580 for a hell of a lot cheaper and do the upgrade yerself.

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I run Parallels on a MBP with 4G RAM and it's entirely fine.

It does tend to want a lot of RAM, and to hold onto it, if I could upgrade my MBP to 8G RAM I would, but it's max'ed out.

Unless you're running a lot of Mac apps at the same time you're running Parallels, I'd tend to think 8G RAM would be fine.

Side note: like a lot of others, I run hot and cold wrt Parallels. Yeah, it works and generally works pretty well, but support isn't all that great and I don't like the high prices charged for upgrades, so I'm a major version behind already.