Running Windows 7 full time on a macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by loganki, Feb 17, 2010.

1. loganki macrumors newbie

So I would like to purchase a Macbook Pro for the build quality and several other reasons, but it is going to be a work laptop and I would like to run windows 7 all of the time (not VM windows 7, actually boot into it). My questions are:

Can boot camp be set to boot into Windows 7 be default via boot camp?

Are there any issues with running 7 on a MBP such as sleeping, hardware integration etc..?

Drivers?

Any other issues that would make this a bad idea?

I apologize about my ignorance but there seems to be very little information about this on the internet.

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Logan

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, you can set it to boot into Windows by default

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Yes, you can set it to boot into Windows automatically.

Seems like a waste of money.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can actually set it up where OSX is not even on the MBP, but I wouldn't advise it

I know you said you wanted it for build quality and for other reasons, but I am sure you realize there are far cheaper solutions for a Windows laptop with better specs

5. loganki thread starter macrumors newbie

What would you guys recommend? I know you can spec things higher but I have tried comparable windows machines (specifically the Dell Studio XPS) and found the quality unacceptable.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There is a lot of garbage to wade through, but this thread lists alternatives
    Folks in that thread are contemplating a switch from a MBP to something else
    You should find plenty of ideas in there

7. safelder macrumors member

I'd recommend a Thinkpad. I've had several of them (all T series), both as personal machines and work machines, and found them to be very reliable. They're not sexy, but their build quality is pretty much unrivaled on the Windows side, even after the sale from IBM to Lenovo.

8. loganki thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for the link, I am pouring over it. Still welcoming replies here.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I find, if you're looking for a good professional (read: good build quality) look at the Think Pads, Dell Latitude, and HP seems to have a good rep...

If you're looking for a good professional (read: impress clients) look at the Sony Z series.

If you're looking at something in the middle, try the Dell V13...

In general, I wouldn't use Windows on a mac, as Apple's drivers are considered crap...

10. glasscity macrumors member

My only complaint about HP and my HP laptop is they discontinued support for it once windows 7 came out, when this laptop had just turned 3 years old and still way more than a capable machine.

Otherwise, it's solidly built, runs a little hot so you won't want it on your lap for long, but it's fine.

11. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

go thinkpads still easily the next best laptops I have ever used

good value and I believe that they have the i5/i7 architecture shipping already.

ahhh many a good database I made on my t400!

12. HugMnster macrumors member

Take a look at the Toshiba tecra line, I have bought 8 of them for use here at work for my users an they are nice machines.

the lenovo thinkpads are nice too.

13. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I also would recommend a ThinkPad. They are durable and last a long time (as my family has shared 2 different ones over the past 6 years).

They have great quality parts; you can buy a nice one for $1200 (comparable to MBPs).

14. mic575 macrumors newbie

I am interested in this topic also. I guess at $1200 you are looking at the same price as a 13" MBP. For that you get a clunky looking machine, no backlit keyboard, subpar and confusing support even if you buy extended warranty, fewer helpful targeted forums like this etc. And the resale value is lower and the company could end meaningful support. So perhaps the OP has a point.

15. Moopy Sac macrumors member

Moopy Sac

HP seems to have the worst build quality, while (surprisingly) Asus has the best. And I have never heard of HP having a good reputation for quality.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/

16. Hmac macrumors 68020

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to just to make a point turning your nose up at OSX. What's the big deal? Leave OSX in a small partition, set the computer to always boot into Windows. You'll never know the difference compared to any other Windows computer, but you'll still have the ability to update your EFI or other drivers when necessary.

17. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Do you mean Windows 7 in particular? I have run XP Pro on my Blackbook and my unibody MB and I've had no issues except for the trackpad driver on the unibody (which Apple has very much improved from the original version).

18. cobalt79 macrumors member

I am looking to do the same. Can anyone please post any issues they have had running Windows 7 on a Mac? All I have read was that there was an issue with the Magic Mouse, but otherwise the Mac can run Windows 7 just like any other computer. Is this accurate? I'd like to hear some war stories...

19. Hmac macrumors 68020

PC World did a test a couple of years ago that found that MacBooks ran Windows XP faster than any other computer on the market. Drivers aren't an issue, you can download Windows drivers and install them the usual way and BootCamp will provide other necessary drivers specific to unique Mac hardware.

20. cobalt79 macrumors member

21. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

I've taken a 13" MBP and installed Windows 7 without any issues. Despite what people seem to believe, MBP are priced very competitively for what they offer:

Low weight (others start at a low weight, but once you "build" it it's heavy).
    Attractiveness (some people care about this not just for their clothes and furniture and cars and dishes, but also for their computers)
    Power (other computers have either lower speed or low spec chips at a lower price)
    Features (other computers can offer more, but are generally not used and cost more)

Of course, if you're willing to trade any of these features, then of course you can get a lower price with a PC.

22. cobalt79 macrumors member

well, i want to buy a mac for the build quality. my last dell had hardware issues with the mother board and i never want to deal with that again. i also like the idea of having both OS's -- best of both worlds.

if i didnt want the OS -- id likely spend the money on a sony or an HP.

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Exactly. Plus Apple technology such as magsafe, battery, large multitouch trackpad

24. cobalt79 macrumors member

Anyone? Bueller?

How about some troubleshooting tips? For instance, once installed, will Windows react differently than normal?

25. czeluff macrumors 6502

drivers

One thing that no one mentions in these debates are the drivers.

I'm a fulltime C++ guy, and we develop strictly for Windows. Macbook Pros, time and time again, end up being the best machines with our software, because Apple writes INCREDIBLE drivers. They're always no-frills. Their Windows 7 support is stellar now. Battery life isn't AS amazing as it is when under OSX, but that makes sense, since the power mgmt of the OS is designed with their laptops in mind.

I have two iMacs at home: one that runs in OSX 100%, and one that uses Win7 100%. I would never question buying an Apple laptop, even if you're going to be in Windows all the time.

Just my 2 cents from a Winblows programmer. ;)