Running Windows 7 in VM Ware problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by soulcramp, Feb 28, 2012.

1. soulcramp macrumors newbie

I'm a recent convert to Mac and am having some issues with running Windows 7 through VM Ware ver. 4.1.1. The install went smooth and I have allocated 2 cores and 2864 MB (max allowable) for memory. Starting Bootcamp through VM Ware is a little slow but not too bad. When Windows comes up I cannot even click on the start menu. It acts like the processor is running at 100% and you try to start another application on a normal PC. It is so slow that even doing a simple right-click on anything takes 3-5 minutes. I need to install my CAD programs in Windows but cannot do it when things are running this slow. Have any of you had this issue? What do I need to do (other than purchasing a PC to run my CAD programs) to get things running like they should? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Soulcramp

2. Ishmumrhmn macrumors regular

Use virtualbox
    its free, powerful and works great

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's not typical, I'm not sure what's going on. Did you let it sit there for a while and see if the processing subsided?

4. Wardenski macrumors 6502

I do not know much about VM ware but how much VRAM did you give it?

When my 8800GT was half-dead, my CPU was more active than usual although this was in true Windows via bootcamp.

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

What are your system specs? Rule of thumb is never more than half your cores and a little less than half of your RAM. Windows 7 should run best in a VM on 1-2 GB of RAM and depending on the system 1-2 cores. I run several VMs everyday and run entire servers off of them with the above settings.

6. soulcramp thread starter macrumors newbie

System specs:
    Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3
    2.2 GHz i7
    4 GB Ram
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

As stated earlier, I'm running the VM with 2 cores and 2864 MB for its memory. When Windows is running the processes never seem to stabilize. I get moments where I can click on something and have it respond quick (mainly webpage links, nothing processor intensive). The next clicks I make freeze it all up again. I've tried different settings in VM Ware with the same result.

SOULCRAMP

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Never give the VM more than
    Code:
    (host machine RAM) / 4
    MBytes RAM. If your host machine has 4 GB RAM, give a VM <= 1 GB RAM. The host OS and applications need the other RAM for other tasks.

See also:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14392485#post14392485