Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redskinlad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Hello MacRumors!

I am currently the owner of a MacbookPro and am attending my second year of college. I tend to do a lot of gaming/work, which means most of the applications I would like to run are windows-based.

My question is: Which Windows 7 should I buy and where would be the cheapest place to get it?

After extensive research, I think* this is the cheapest one that will install windows 7 on my mac:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q0PT3I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Still, this is $100 an is quite expensive, is there anywhere where I can get a student discount?

Thanks!

Cancelled
Jun 19, 2009
You can purchase Windows 7 under an academic license if you are a current student; see here. The license only applies while you are a student, though, iirc.

Your school may also grant you access to the DreamSpark program, which can get you some other useful Microsoft products for free while you are a student.

redskinlad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
You can purchase Windows 7 under an academic license if you are a current student; see here. The license only applies while you are a student, though, iirc.

Your school may also grant you access to the DreamSpark program, which can get you some other useful Microsoft products for free while you are a student.

Note that I have been to that first link before, if you look at the corner of the box, it says it's an upgrade, which is very decieving unfortunately.

mystik610

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Does your school offer educational discounts? The campus I'm attending sells windows 7 for 20 bucks.

ahdickter

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
You can still install Windows clean with an upgrade disk. Both the "full" and "upgrade" DVD's contain all windows setup files. The only difference is the CD-key only works for an OS that's been upgraded.

Here's how you use an upgrade only DVD to fully install Windows:

1. Put in the upgrade disk and select "Clean Install/Full Install".
2. Let it run, and when it asks you for a CD key, just skip it.
3. When logged into Windows, launch the setup from the Upgrade DVD and select "upgrade"
4. Let it install. Put in the CD-key. Although you updating to the same version, it still counts as updating.
5. Install all Windows updates.

Enjoy!

redskinlad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
You can still install Windows clean with an upgrade disk. Both the "full" and "upgrade" DVD's contain all windows setup files. The only difference is the CD-key only works for an OS that's been upgraded.

Here's how you use an upgrade only DVD to fully install Windows:

1. Put in the upgrade disk and select "Clean Install/Full Install".
2. Let it run, and when it asks you for a CD key, just skip it.
3. When logged into Windows, launch the setup from the Upgrade DVD and select "upgrade"
4. Let it install. Put in the CD-key. Although you updating to the same version, it still counts as updating.
5. Install all Windows updates.

Enjoy!

You're ABSOLUTELY* sure about this? I've never heard of being able to skip entering a CD-Key input. And couldn't people just do this to install the OS instead of buying the full version for their PC? I'm confused.

I just want to know that you've done this and you're 100% sure this works.

EDIT: After researching a bit, I think you're incorrect:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-macbook/553da747-3387-4107-8249-8dc3732091ce

Also found in apple.com's bootcamp tutorial:

"Important: You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc. You cannot use
an upgrade version of Windows."

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
My university gives you access to .iso's and serials for windows 7 for free through MSNDNAA. Check it out for your school.

redskinlad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Why should I be the one to know that? I found out through playing around on my student account on the uni website.

Here's a school search, you'll know if your school has subscribed to the program:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/academic/dd861349

It's subscribed, but when I go to download Windows 7, it says I need an account, and when I try to register I get this message:

An account has been created for you by an administrator. You must complete the registration of your account by providing the account identifier given to you by the administrator.

How?

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
Here's a tip. You can use the upgrade to install the OS, during installation it'll ask you for a serial number and you can just hit Next without entering one. Once everything is installed, you can just enter in the serial number at this point.

This is how I do a clean install of Windows 7 instead of doing upgrades from previous versions.

I see nothing ethically wrong with this as long as you've owned any previous version of windows.

Note that I have been to that first link before, if you look at the corner of the box, it says it's an upgrade, which is very decieving unfortunately.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
You're ABSOLUTELY* sure about this? I've never heard of being able to skip entering a CD-Key input. And couldn't people just do this to install the OS instead of buying the full version for their PC? I'm confused.

I just want to know that you've done this and you're 100% sure this works.

EDIT: After researching a bit, I think you're incorrect:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-macbook/553da747-3387-4107-8249-8dc3732091ce

Also found in apple.com's bootcamp tutorial:

"Important: You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc. You cannot use
an upgrade version of Windows."

Just listen to the guy everything he posted is correct. Windows 7 and associated variants (Server 2k8 etc) will ask for a serial but will allow you to skip and run any of them for x amount of days before it begins to complain eventually forcing you to activate. Dreamspark, Digital River/Ultimate Steal, MSDNAA or campus bookstores will all work as suggested in this thread.

Or you can get an OEM copy from newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re+-+Operating+Systems-_-Microsoft-_-32116992

redskinlad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Just listen to the guy everything he posted is correct. Windows 7 and associated variants (Server 2k8 etc) will ask for a serial but will allow you to skip and run any of them for x amount of days before it begins to complain eventually forcing you to activate. Dreamspark, Digital River/Ultimate Steal, MSDNAA or campus bookstores will all work as suggested in this thread.

Or you can get an OEM copy from newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re+-+Operating+Systems-_-Microsoft-_-32116992

And I can use the serial included to activate it?

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
upgrade copy for $30 will work 100%. my friends and i have bought copies and i entered the key later on instead of during the install and windows works just fine. save yourself the money and buy it through digital river! :)

nickjf20

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
I used an upgrade serial bought from software4students. Worked brilliantly, and it cost me £35 which is like $45. I used this rather than digital river only because I don't have a .edu email address. I am in school though...

Be careful with OEM windows, if you want to reinstall it, it often doesn't work.

I now have an MSDN account for all things windows.

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
$30 student upgrade version works for clean install, FOR SURE.

Unless you're majoring in a tech-related field, most students don't have access to MSDN, and if you do, you'd know how to access it anyways.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
It's subscribed, but when I go to download Windows 7, it says I need an account, and when I try to register I get this message:

An account has been created for you by an administrator. You must complete the registration of your account by providing the account identifier given to you by the administrator.

How?

You could do something completely nonsensical, such as simply calling the IT department of your school?

redskinlad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
You could do something completely nonsensical, such as simply calling the IT department of your school?

Okay, ended up buying the $30 dollar copy, digital download. Iso is downloading as we speak. Any tutorial on what kind of blank DVD I need/how to do it/etc? I downloaded simplyburns so thats a start.

Ostemad

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
Okay, ended up buying the $30 dollar copy, digital download. Iso is downloading as we speak. Any tutorial on what kind of blank DVD I need/how to do it/etc? I downloaded simplyburns so thats a start.

im about to do the same trick, so i would like to know if it worked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.