Running Windows 8.1 on Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by APguy1, Jun 12, 2014.

1. APguy1 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have just purchased Windows 8.1 from the online store at Microsoft and i have got the download in my account so i can access it. However when i go to download it it doesn't work. My question is how do i download windows 8.1 to my 20GB USB stick so i can go into bootcamp and download it. I have also purchased the back up disks for it also. Is using the disks the only way to install windows on my mac or is there a way around it by just downloading it from the website.

Ill be upgrading my ram to 4GB soon also because i want to run a CAD program on the windows side.

Cheers,

Thanks for your help,

Olly.

2. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Copy the ISO to your USB stick from the Windows store and open Boot Camp Assistant. You'll be able to install Windows 8.1 from the USB stick. I've got 8.1 running on my machine, runs quite well.

3. APguy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. APguy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Possibly. What Mac do you have?

From http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5639 :

6. APguy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. APguy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the page where the download file is for windows 8.1 I've blurred out my product No. BTW. Where it says download is where you get the download from obviously.

[​IMG]

8. bobdamnit macrumors regular

Your Mac does not support using an ISO for BootCamp, which means you will have to burn the Windows 8.1 ISO to DVD and install it that way.

I ran into the same problem on my early 2011 MacBook Pro. :(

9. APguy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh right, I have purchased the back up CDs for it which may turn up tomorrow :)

----------

I have also purchased parallel 9, could I use this ?

10. bobdamnit macrumors regular

Yes. I have it installed in Parallels 9 also.

11. APguy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you download it into parallel withought the CDs then ?

12. kuwxman macrumors 6502

kuwxman

You can install Windows 8.1 as a Parallels virtual machine, yes. However, you will not be able to use Windows in Parallels and Boot Camp with the same serial number.

If you don't use Windows a lot, I'd wait and install it via Boot Camp. It runs better that way and you still have access to all your OS X documents/files.

13. bobdamnit macrumors regular

When you install Parallels and click "New Virtual Machine", you'll see this:
    [​IMG]

Click "Install Windows or another OS from DVD or image file" and select the Windows 8.1 ISO file.

14. kuwxman macrumors 6502

kuwxman

Just save the .iso to your Mac desktop. Then open Parallels and follow the prompts.

15. bobdamnit macrumors regular

This is very true. Keep this in mind, OP! You can't run both at the same time. Its either BootCamp or Parallels.

I'd use BootCamp, personally, because it runs so much better.

16. APguy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

But the thing is I don't know how to download it to begin with. I don't even have the ISO. When I clock on it and try to view the download it says this application is unavailable

17. bobdamnit macrumors regular

I don't know. I've never used the Microsoft Store to purchase Windows. I usually pick mine up from Best Buy or some other computer store.

18. APguy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason I got it from the online store is because in a student and doing a degree so I got 78% off ;)

19. bobdamnit macrumors regular

I figured that, as the download was Pro Student.

I was merely commenting that I have no idea how the Microsoft Store works, as I've never used it. Sorry I can't be more help.

20. APguy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

21. kuwxman macrumors 6502

kuwxman

You should have received a confirmation email of your purchase and it had a download link in it too. Try going that route.

22. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Mid 2009 doesn't support Windows 8.x under Boot Camp - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5634. It would probably work with Parallels or VMWare, but not Boot Camp.

I'd definitely upgrade RAM before trying it in a VM though.

23. kuwxman macrumors 6502

kuwxman

It works with Boot Camp, but you just have to get around Apple's install handcuffs. But, yes, for normal everyday users Windows 8.1 isn't Boot Camp eligible.

24. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

We may be talking about two different things. Windows 8.1 is now fully supported under Boot Camp 5.1, assuming that the hardware is compatible. But in this case (Mid-2009 13" MacBook Pro) it's a hardware limitation per http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5634 - expand the section MacBook Pro and look for the Mid-2009; it only supports Boot Camp 4 and can't run Windows 8 (BC4 does not support Win8, and the BC5.1 drivers don't support this hardware).