Running Windows and Linux on 2.53ghz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w...b, Oct 25, 2008.

1. w...b macrumors regular

so i want to learn about programming and web development. Im hearing alot of people telling me Linux is a great system for developers and i need Windows for school. So is it alright to have these 3 systems running through Boot Camp? I'll Have the 250gb 7.2k HDD.

Also, is it possible to have one of the two systems, preferably Linux, run from an external HD?

Lastly, i know this is not the developer section but could you tell me why you like the Linux system?

Thanks

W...B

2. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I'm not 100% sure but I think bootcamp only supports 2 partitions. VMware on the other hand could handle linux since you probably wouldn't need the GPU in there.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Linux is good for people who don't have a Mac, and since OS X is based off the same BSD subsystem as Linux, OS X is just as good as a developing platform as Linux. Besides a lot of Linux tools have already been ported to OS X.

Linux is good only if you use command line only. :p

4. alanlindsay macrumors member

I have the Penryn 2.4 MBP triple booted with OSX, Ubuntu and XP. So it can be done first of all. Here is a guide on how to do it: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro

With the new MBP I think you're going to run into quite a few problems getting drivers for the new chipset. Getting things to work in Linux is always a pain so be prepared to put a serious amount of time into it if you want everything to work. I like programming in Linux as the Intel C/C++/Fortran compilers and MKL are available free of charge for non-commercial use for this platform only. Cheers,

Alan

5. polaris20 macrumors 68020

rofl you obviously haven't spent any significant amount of time with Linux, have you?