Running Windows Apps from a Mac over a network

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Isamtron, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Isamtron macrumors newbie

Hello,

I tried the application from Microsoft called "Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac 2" to access Windows 7 through Mac but it didn't work... maybe because it's only compatible with Vista and XP?

Any other solutions on how can I access my Win 7 through Mac? I don't want to use BootCamp or virtualization junk.

I have the Mac and the PC at home, getting the internet connection from my Time Capsule.

Please help.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It should be fine if you have either Ultimate or Professional editions. However bootcamp or virtualization will run faster because it doesn't need to go over the network.

3. valvehead macrumors regular

I got RDP to work with my WHS. For some reason it wouldn't connect using the server name. I had to use the IP address of the server instead.

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

As talmy said, first check your version of Windows 7. It needs to be Professional or Ultimate; other versions don't have the component necessary for RDC to connect to.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

And remote settings need to be specifically turned on http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/turn-on-remote-desktop-in-windows-vista/

If the problem is really in the client, you could always give CoRD a try. http://cord.sourceforge.net/.

EDIT: Note that the latest client from Microsoft has worked fine for me to servers running XP, XP64, Vista, Vista64, 7, 764, Windows Server 2003, Windows server 2008.

B

6. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

+1 for CoRD. The Microsoft RDP client was good around the Tiger timeframe. It seems to have gotten flakier over the years. I have some computers that it just WILL NOT connect to, while other RDP clients have no problems at all.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The V2 client that was released post Intel transition is actually quite a bit better than CoRD (IMHO, of course). CoRD blows the V1 client out of the water though and is a good cross check when something isn't working.

B

8. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

I've been using the V2 client since it was released. It's sketchy for me. Sometimes it connects to a machine, sometimes it doesn't. CoRD (so far) hasn't failed to connect.