Running Windows inside Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chrf097, Dec 19, 2011.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Is there a program that lets me run Windows Programs in the Mac Environment. (NOT a virtual machine, but launch apps from the Launchpad/Dock that are Windows apps). Are there any programs that let you do that?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Windows apps cannot run in Mac OS X. To run Windows apps on your Mac, you need to install Windows via Boot Camp or use Parallels or VMware Fusion.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

WINE and CrossOver (CrossOver is just a commercial version of WINE, it's easier). Not all apps work though so try the trial of CrossOver before buying.

However, virtualization allows you to run Windows apps in regular windows as well. No need to have the whole OS taking screen estate.

4. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Parallels ( vmware maybe also ) has a mode where the windows apps ( running via a vm ) integrate pretty darn seamlessly into the doc etc.

Right now I have outlook and toad and text pad icons in my mac os x ( 10.7.2 ) dock. I login to my win 7 environment and then use cisco vpn ( under win 7 ) to open up vpn connection from win 7 to work and then ... all my win apps work connected up into work and integrate into the mac os x doc etc.

There are some other applications that try to create a win environment ( like wine ) without using a vm ... however a solution like parallels and probably vmware have everything working without any surprises.

Virtual box is free and does much of that also but ( not quite sure ) may be more limited in integration options with mac os x.