Running Windows on a Mac with upgraded ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sambobsessed, Mar 27, 2013.

1. sambobsessed macrumors member

I'm thinking of upgrading my ram to 16gb on my 13" mid-2012 macbook pro.

i was just wondering if i did this would running windows via parallels become a lot better?

I would have 16gb instead of 8gb ram.

anyone have 16gb memory? how does it run on yours?

2. Jaimi macrumors regular

I have an early 2011 macbook pro with 16GB RAM. I run Windows in vmware fusion. The extra 8GB makes windows run great.

3. Bad.Hat.Harry macrumors newbie

Bad.Hat.Harry

I upgraded my 2013 cMBP to 16GB of RAM as soon as I got it home because I knew I would be running Windows 7 in Parallels. My experience with Parallels has been great, everything runs smooth, and on average iStat shows around 3GB of RAM free.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It shouldn't change a thing more RAM only helps if it is needed.
    If you run Windows for simple stuff like Word you don't really need anything past 2GB for that VM. It is just no use.
    If you actually run so much that you need 4 or even 8GB it probably takes a big toll on your CPU anyway. Restarting native or finding native mac programs for your tasks would be the better way.
    The only problem is when people assign way more RAM than they'd need to leaving only 4GB to OSX (in an 8GB setup) which with the much more likely heavy multi tasking on the OSX side can easily be not enough.

16GB doesn't hurt but with most usage it shouldn't change a thing unless you are one of those who splits neatly in two.