Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thetussinmonstr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
I need to run Windows for certain accounting software I use, but I have a few questions I need help with before I invest a lot of what little money I have right now. To run Windows with Bootcamp, your system has to be completely restarted and booted up in Windows, correct? In Parallels, I know you run Windows essentially within OSX, so would I benefit from also upgrading from Tiger to Leopard, then running either XP/Vista in Parallels? And lastly, heh, XP or Vista?

jmann

macrumors 604
Wirelessly posted (Jeff's iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Yes you are correct on your first question. I'm not sure there is an advantage in upgrading your OS just for the sake of running parallels. I'm sure there would be anperformance boost though. And I would recommend running xp because it is lighter on resources.

Leto-Parallels

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2008
Yes, correct. You'd need Leopard to run Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac, then a valid CD for either version of Windows. Which Windows? There I cannot help you. 'Tis a choice you alone must make, young grasshopper, though the jman is right in that XP tends to use less system resources.

Desktop 4.0 for Mac also has different screen modes which can make it worth the trouble, depending on your setup. I personally like running OS X on one monitor, Windows on the other. It helps me keep certain things seperate and if I need I can still drag windows or files from one to the other.
When on a single screen, though, I switch to Coherence so I can just run Win & Mac programs side by side on my OS X desktop.

Kaspersky Internet security is also bundled with Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac as well as Acronis backup software; so there's a bonus if you're worried about the security of your guest OS. There's a trial available at http://www.Parallels.com/desktop if you want to test it out after you get Leopard. You get the full functionality with the trial, there's just a time limit on the provided serial key.

Hope that helps some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.