Running windows on mac book pro for music production, any problems?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by SLN, May 27, 2012.

1. SLN, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012

SLN macrumors newbie

hey wat up..

Im really thinking about getting the new mac book pro...
    Im planning on running windows 7 on there as a partition for music...

I was wondering if any of you have experience with that and if you've run into any problems?

do any of your music programs not run properly, plugins messing up, etc....

I tried searching on the forum here for info but I couldnt really find much..

let me know if you have any experience with that...

thanks

2. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

you're getting a mac which musicians get for it's stable OS and workflow and you want to produce music on the windows platform?

Out of interest, why? Are there specific programs that don't run on OSX?

3. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I don't really know if there's any reliability/compatibility issues. Not that I know of. A mac in bootcamp is just a PC with drivers made by Apple.

More importantly, why in the world would you buy a mac to run a DAW in windows!?

4. SLN thread starter macrumors newbie

i figured id be able to get the best of both worlds...

I can do music on the pc side, surf internet on the mac side...

from what i've read thus far, I shouldn't expect a drop in performance from running windows on the mac...

Also over time, I might slowly start moving everything to the mac side if I wanted...

right now its between the envy and the mac book for me.. both computers are pretty equal as far as spec and performance in my opinion...

but i think the mac is better right now on the hardware side, its built better overall... this is pretty much the biggest reason thats pushin me over to the mac side right now...

im using cubase nexus, and a bunch of other vsts....
    any of you have any problems with the cubase on the mac? i think I read somewhere that cubase was the one DAW that didn't really work too well on the mac side...

5. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

This is ludacris. Buying a Mac and then using Windows on it for music production? That's like buying a Ferrari and putting bicycle wheels on it.

Macs are superior in the professional arts industries (music, film, graphic design etc.) and they use Macs for a reason. Mostly because of the union of hardware and software. Applw makes the hardware AND the software. Except for Adobe's Creative Suite, everything else is pretty much made by Apple itself.

Specifically to music, you're best off using Logic Pro, Mainstage etc. on the Mac. It's an industry standard, everybody uses it. If you don't want to use Logic Pro, then you're good to go with Cubase for Mac.

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Of course it will work but WHAT A WASTE of a good Macbook.

Why not just get something generic PC clone at Best Buy and save $1,000?

7. SLN, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

SLN thread starter macrumors newbie

8. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Well I can understand having to use it as a PC for a while, you probably have some projects that couldn't be ported over easily, maybe some of your VST are windows only and I'm guessing you have a windows licence for cubase. Though in the long run, you'd probably be missing out...

9. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

This is same thing people are experiencing when debating between a Mac and a PC. They like the Mac but they're scared to transition to it because they're used to a PC and how it works. But once they do transition to a Mac, then they are in love with it. Seriously, in love. They hug it and worry about every little scratch.

I would say, try Logic Pro on your Macbook Pro. For the price of $199, it's a steal compared to the other DAWs that run at $500+. And the marriage between Logic Pro and the Macbook pro is a perfect one.

Trust what everyone is telling you here - go all Apple on this one. You won't regret it one bit.

Even if you're so disgusted by Logic Pro, you can always use Cubase for Mac. Just don't use Windows 7 for music production, it's border-line sacrilegious.

10. SLN thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, i dont know about all that "sacrilegious" talk....
    i'll look a little more into logic though..

for those of you who use it, what do you do for more sounds? I know you can buy AUs but are they any good?
    right now my "bread and butter" sounds come from halion 1 (which came with cubase), nexus, and komplete (buuut I really only use battery 8 from there to be honest, the sounds in komplete are w/e, at elast the everyday pianos and stuff, thats another discussion though),
    what are the equivalent "bread and butter" type sounds in logic?

oh and yall dont have anythought on the music link?