Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
I am looking at buying a small CNC Woodworking router but all the ones I've found use a USB interface and GRBL control system which only seems to be available for Windows XP / Win 7 / Win 8 / Win 10 and Linux.

Is there any way this can be run from a Mac Book Pro?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes
You can install Windows on your MBPro.
Your Mac system has an app, Boot Camp Assistant, that makes that easy. It's in your Utilities folder.
The Boot Camp assistant will create a partition where you can install Windows.
All you need is a Windows ISO, which you can download for free from Microsoft. You can choose to purchase a license to activate your copy of Windows, which may or may not be needed with your app.

Or, if you don't want to create that separate partition (which you have to boot to Windows each time you need to use your CNC software), you can use one of the VM apps, such as Parallels. That app allows you to install Windows, but run it as a Mac app. I don't know if that will be useful to run your CNC software, however. Plus, Parallels is commercial software.

cheddar-caveman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Many thanks for that most helpful reply! I'll have to look very carefully at this, at 80years old, the brain takes a wee while to get around this sort of thing! Would hate to screw up my new MBP!!

eyeQ

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2018
I use Parallells, it is expensive but oh boy it's so smooth just launching apps directly without rebooting to Bootcamp or running Virtualbox.

Parallells has one nice feature which is called "Coherence mode". It lets you run apps just like it was an Mac app.
I really recommend it but only if you are going to use Windows apps often, otherwise it would be enough with Virtualbox I think.

Reactions: H2SO4

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
OP, we use MeshCAM by GRZSoftware (hosted by CRC Workshop) in our shop, direct link - it works fine in Sierra/HS/Mojave. AFAIK it's the only Mac-specific GRBL control system option. That link asks for a name/email contact and they'll set you up with a 14 or 15 day trial.

Alana_FORSUN

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2021
I suggest that you can consult the manufacturer of the CNC router machine for after-sales consultation, I believe they will have a solution. Or you can go to the company’s website to have a look. This is a manufacturer of woodworking router machines. There are many blog posts on their website, which may be helpful to you: Jinan FORSUN CNC Machinery Co., Ltd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.