Running windows version of word in on my MAC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Hold, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Hold macrumors regular

I need to run the windows version of word on my 2012 macbook air as the mac version of word doesn't support a few languages that I need. I saw that I can use paralles but I don't want to work in the windows system and be switching over and back and slowing down my computer. Is there any other solution?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You have two options
    1. Run windows via virtualization, such as VMWare's Fusion. The advantages of this is that you stay within OSX and for most things like business apps any performance wouldn't be noticeable.

2.Run windows via bootcamp, best hardware support and performance but you need to boot into windows.

I use #1 as my need for windows is light and intermittent

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Hold thread starter macrumors regular

crossover seems good. How exactly does it work? Will it slow down my machine?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd avoid CrossOver as it has too many compatibility issues. I don't think its worth the aggravation of trying to get an app to work.

6. Hold thread starter macrumors regular

I saw someone with windows word with paralles but it was running in osx. It seemed like he didn't have windows installed. How is this done?

7. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

There is a feature in Parallels called Coherence. It runs the WIndows VM in the background and you run any Windows application as if it was running on your MAC. I have my Windows VM startup in Coherence mode when my Mac boots, so I can run Windows apps at will.

8. Hold thread starter macrumors regular

Do i need to install windows on a partition on my hard drive for this to work?

9. Zerozal macrumors 6502

You do not need a separate partition but you do need to install Windows. After you install Parallels or VMware Fusion, it will guide you through installing Windows, then you can install your copy of Word.

VMware Fusion also supports a mode similar to Parallel's Coherence mode. VMware calls it "Unity", and as you saw, it appears that the Windows application is running directly on the OS X desktop.

10. Hold thread starter macrumors regular

Do i need to install my own copy of windows or does it come as part of the program?

11. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

You need to have your own full copy of Windows, restore disks that come with PC's will not work. Parallels does have the ability to buy a copy of Windows via the online store when you come to install it, if you don't have a full copy of Windows.

12. manual123 macrumors member

I use parallels every day, for Visio, project and some astronomy software. I’m running 10.6 and 10.8 (mac pro and mac book pro) and have to say that the performance hit I take is minimal. Provided I have 8 gb of ram on the MacBook, usually run at least 4-5 big apps on the mac side while running Visio, or project, or access on the windows side. Great performance, I don’t use coherence but use spaces and have a space dedicated to windows full screen. So I can just swipe back and forth between the two. Also since I have may all my files shared, I can access files and clipboard from both sides at the same time. Unless you need the full bandwidth of your computer, for MS Office apps, always recommend using Parallels. 

13. 1theo0, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012

1theo0 macrumors newbie

1theo0

Wine!

You must try Wine- I've got a copy of Word 2010 running perfectly with Wine- I configured its services and libraries. I've got the Wineskin wrapper, but you must provide the program. Wine make it possible to integrate the windows programs seamlessly onto OSX. :)