Running Windows/Windows related programs off a Ext HD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ShinyGFX, Jan 2, 2010.

1. ShinyGFX macrumors newbie

I Was wondering if it is possible to install windows onto my Mac but Partion the memory using an EXT hardrive so i don't have to use up the memory on my Internal hardrive. Is this Possible or do i have to partion my internal HD.
    Also, will most windows Programs such as Windows Based Computer games and Programs such as Photoshop and Dreamweaver work off my EXT hardrive?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

http://guides.macrumors.com/Boot_Camp_Windows_XP_On_External_Drive

Windows generally does not like to run entirely of of an external drive, so you will generally need a ~20 GB partition on the internal just for the OS, and any apps and data the need to be on C:.

If you had not said games, I might have suggested a Virtual Machine install using Parallels/Fusion/VirtualBox, which can be entirely on the external drive.

B

3. ShinyGFX thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, Now i have Photoshop for PC on my EXT, after i instal windows XP/Vista<as if i would put Vista on any computer>/W7 will i be able to run that off my EXt or does that need to be placed in the Partioned memory?

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You'll need to reinstall the program. Windows applications/programs require writing stuff into the registry or it won't work.