Running Windows with Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tiny_101, Nov 2, 2008.

1. tiny_101 macrumors member

Hello,

I was just wondering what the options would be if I wanted to boot windows using a MacBook that still runs Tiger?

- Thanks in advance

2. dckj95 macrumors member

you can use a virtual pc app like vmware or parallels. install windows on the app to have it working.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In addition to the virtual environments of Parallels and VMware, you can boot Windows natively if you use Boot Camp to install it.

4. TSE macrumors 68030

Not with Tiger. Boot Camp was strictly a Leopard application I believe.

You could try finding an archive of one of the Boot Camp Betas for Tiger.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You believe incorrectly.

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Running Windows natively has nothing to do with the Mac OS you are running. You can put Windows on an Intel Mac that has no preexisting OS at all on it.

Boot Camp is still an option. The misconception that you need Leopard probably stems from the fact that Leopard shipped with the drivers and the application called boot camp that partitions the drive for you and Tiger didn't. However, all of this can be done without Leopard, or even "Boot Camp" for that matter, it just takes a little more work or you need to find the Tiger Beta of boot camp.

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

And the Tiger betas for Boot Camp expired on January 1st, so you will probably have to set the system clock back to run the install, but once Windows is installed in Boot Camp you can keep using it. I finally got rid of the last Boot Camp beta for Tiger when my company gave the OK to move the work machine to Leopard back in August.

8. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I thought Boot Camp for Tiger was discontinued as it never became a full release from the beta form? What about the expire dates for the beta? I've not used Tiger since Leopard got released, but I remember that Boot Camp would only function to a certain date. And I can't find it anywhere now..

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

How would any version of Windows install on a bare Intel Mac? The Mac has no BIOS? I thought Windows needed something to replace a BIOS in order to run on a Mac.

10. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

thats what i thought too. From what i understand, Macs use EFI... and when you install bootcamp, it edits the EFI to simulate a BIOS that the windows OS recognizes.

To be honest though, i bet if you searched around the internet, you will be able to find a torrent or something of a beta bootcamp that has been cracked to work beyond the beta expiry. I would actually be surprised if you couldnt find this, because I bet there is a large amount of users who would like to use bootcamp on tiger, but dont want to get leopard.

for the record I dont necessarily encourage illegal torrenting... nor the cracking of apps. I am just trying to help find a solution for the topic poster.

11. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Basically, Boot Camp is combination of hard drive formatting software on the Mac end + Windows drivers on the Windows end. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just do a google search for Boot Camp + rapidshare + Tiger or something of the sort. I'm sure there is someone out there that's uploaded it somewhere. I just thought it was silly of Apple to stop supporting it on Tiger just to promote Leopard.

Your Mac should have already came with the BIOS inside of the EFI to run Windows. If not, then you'd have to do a firmware update. This is only really needed if you got the earlier Core Duo Macs. The Core 2 Duo Macs and later already had firmwares with BIOS.

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would think it's more likely that they have a HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) that looks like a BIOS to anything above it. This is how the hackintoshes get around EFI.

I worked for a long time on the issues of HAL, and changing the EFI is not a good idea - you never know what side effects you might have. Typically, systems use a HAL to get around hardware differences.

13. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I use parallels on my blackbook running Tiger. I use VMWare Fusion on my new glassbook running Leopard. Both work well, but I do have the older version of parallels, vs the newer version of Fusion, and Fusion is much better than Parallels in my experience.

14. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

This may help:

http://refit.sourceforge.net/