running windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PAC88, Oct 27, 2009.

1. PAC88 macrumors 6502

if I'm going to be running windows 7 through bootcamp almost full time.. would it better to get the 15" with 9400m only since the other models I've heard default to 9600 under windows. I don't play games and want to have good battery life while using windows.. so does the 15" w/ 9400m only seem like the better option for this?

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

What would be the reason of purchasing a Mac to run Windows full time? Seems like kind of a waste doesn't it? there are many other great options available for people who prefer Windows.

If you really want to do this, I suggest you get a MacBook 13" just for the size, and great battery life it offers.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Agreed. I can't see why anyone would get a Mac and run Windows full time. Just to save money, I too would go for the MacBook but I would really look elsewhere.

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

If you're running Windows all the time, you're paying too much by buying a Mac. You can get the exact same specifications (well, maybe a tad better or a tad worse depending on the company you go for) for half the price.

Of course if the form factor, glass trackpad, display, firewire 800 (in some cases), mini displayport, and customer support is worth an extra $800 or more then by all means the 15" 2.53GHz is a good choice (so is the 13" as they have the same 9400m graphics so you'd be deciding on screen size).

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can't switch to the 9400m from the 9600m in windows so your laptop will not have great battery life. You'll be better off getting the 9400m model .

With that said, I echo the other's sentiment, it makes more sense to buy a PC then a mac and then put windows on it. Its cheaper, easier to get drivers and you get support. You get no windows support from apple.

6. ruffNstuff macrumors newbie

I have gotten boot camp support from apple and windows 7 support from windows.... when it "runs right":rolleyes: you should have no problems... (windows)

Love the fact that I couldn't go straight from xp to windows 7....

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Maybe to OP wants to run it concurrently with OSX? (that being, "full time" I suppose).

I know a person that just starts his windows virtual drive at log in because he needs to use it throughout the day for his job. He still uses OSX as much as possible though.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

OP stated Boot Camp. I would understand if he wanted to do it through Parallels or Fusion.