Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbauernf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
I currently have 3 computers in my house.. 2 macs and a windows PC. The two macs are capable of running on a wireless N network... the PC on a wireless G.. I am currently running a netgear router at wireless G..

My question: I have a Airport Express which is capable of being a wireless N base station.. Is there anyway I can run my macs on wireless N through the Airport Express base station and my PC on wireless G through the Netgear router? I don't need for my PC to talk to any of my macs.. just need access to the internet..

I am fairly sure the airport express defaults to the slower of the devices connecting (G or N)..

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you don't need the Macs talking to the PC, the easiest way to do this would be plug the Express into one of the free ports on the Netgear, then set the Express up as N-only, giving it a wireless network name that is different than the name of your Netgear wireless network.

A more proper way of doing this would be to plug the Express into the free port of the Netgear, then use the Airport Utility software to put the Airport into "bridge mode" (on the Internet tab). Continue to set it up as a N-only network, with a different name than your Netgear wireless network. By putting it into bridge mode, your Macs on the N network will be able to talk to the things on the Netgear network, and vice-versa.

bbauernf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
Thanks...

One question.. is it possible to connect the airport express wirelessly to the netgear router instead of plugging into open port directly and still have the ability to create separate N network (with or without bridge option)? I currently have them in two different parts of the house...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.