Running with Apple Watch but without iphone (after initial calibration)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Laserducky, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

Hi Everyone,

I'm a causal runner and I just wanted to know if there are any downsides of running without the iphone. Will the data be off or will there be certain data facets missing ?

I've already done the 20 min calibration run with my watch and phone and would appreciate any feedback that you guys can give me is this respect.

Cheers !

2. Chatter macrumors 6502a

I dont run (walk lots during day) and the watch does a really good estimation when I leave my phone behind. Tested on the same route, with/without phone and/or watch combo.
    BUT if you are looking for precise info, I am not of much help!

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Mine measures about 12% too far when I run without my phone. This is after about 28 miles of calibration run time with the phone.

4. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I don't remember how closely my AW agreed with my Garmin if I left my iPhone at home. I think it was close enough that I stopped wearing the Garmin altogether.

I run for duration instead of distance anyway. Back when I started running in earnest, I ran a simple out-and-back, turning around after 15 minutes. The cool part was when I noticed that I could get a little farther down the path each week.

5. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I ran 1.62 miles on the treadmill (as reported by the treadmill itself) today at the gym and the Apple Watch reported 1.38 miles. I had previously calibrated it on a 20 minute walk. I guess I need to calibrate it with my iPhone on an outdoor run.

6. Laserducky thread starter macrumors regular

Laserducky

Thanks guys for your inputs.

7. 617aircav Suspended

I would not use the watch to estimate runs.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use it for my runs without my phone but then my mileage/course is set so I know how far I'm running and I'm less interested in tracking those type of runs. When I move beyond 3 or 5 miles and do a 8 or more run, I pull out my FitBit Surge and use that as I can get more accurate splits and milage stats.