Running with Apple Watch but without iphone (after initial calibration)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Laserducky, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Laserducky macrumors regular

Dec 29, 2013
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a causal runner and I just wanted to know if there are any downsides of running without the iphone. Will the data be off or will there be certain data facets missing ?

I've already done the 20 min calibration run with my watch and phone and would appreciate any feedback that you guys can give me is this respect.

Cheers !
  2. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2013
    Uphill from Downtown
    I dont run (walk lots during day) and the watch does a really good estimation when I leave my phone behind. Tested on the same route, with/without phone and/or watch combo.
    BUT if you are looking for precise info, I am not of much help!
  3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

May 20, 2015
    Mine measures about 12% too far when I run without my phone. This is after about 28 miles of calibration run time with the phone.
  4. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

Jul 14, 2015
    I don't remember how closely my AW agreed with my Garmin if I left my iPhone at home. I think it was close enough that I stopped wearing the Garmin altogether.

I run for duration instead of distance anyway. Back when I started running in earnest, I ran a simple out-and-back, turning around after 15 minutes. The cool part was when I noticed that I could get a little farther down the path each week.
  5. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

Oct 3, 2010
    Denville, NJ
    I ran 1.62 miles on the treadmill (as reported by the treadmill itself) today at the gym and the Apple Watch reported 1.38 miles. I had previously calibrated it on a 20 minute walk. I guess I need to calibrate it with my iPhone on an outdoor run.
  6. Laserducky thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 29, 2013

Thanks guys for your inputs.
  7. 617aircav Suspended

Jul 2, 2012
    I would not use the watch to estimate runs.
  8. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    I use it for my runs without my phone but then my mileage/course is set so I know how far I'm running and I'm less interested in tracking those type of runs. When I move beyond 3 or 5 miles and do a 8 or more run, I pull out my FitBit Surge and use that as I can get more accurate splits and milage stats.