Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacLilja

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2015
When I run with the watch (and phone) is there a way to see your run on a mapp when using the watch's training app or do I need a different app for that?

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
When I run with the watch (and phone) is there a way to see your run on a mapp when using the watch's training app or do I need a different app for that?
:apple:Watch Workout App doesn't do GPS mapping of activities. In addition to using the Workout App you can run an app like RunKeeper, Nike+ or Strava on your iPhone to map. In wOS 2 3ed party Apps will be able to run on the :apple:Watch and write to the Activity app making Workout unnecessary for running (or biking).

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden

Just a recommendation: Try running without the phone (assuming your watch is already calibrated). Its great even without mapping. I used to run with nike+ on my phone but stopped using it since I have my watch. I know my routes and its nice to have blood flowing in my left arm during my (longer) runs.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Just a recommendation: Try running without the phone (assuming your watch is already calibrated). Its great even without mapping. I used to run with nike+ on my phone but stopped using it since I have my watch. I know my routes and its nice to have blood flowing in my left arm during my (longer) runs.
Why should the OP "Try running without the phone"? Since this would add nothing and would only take away from continues calibration. The OP didn't indicate that the iPhone was inconvenient. I run 3 to 4 times a week and have carried my iPhone 99% of the time since the original in 2007. I bet I have been through a couple of dozen fanny packs.

Also is the "its nice to have blood flowing in my left arm during my (longer) runs." a reference to your :apple:Watch being too tight?

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Why so harsh? I just recommended to try a run without the phone. Did you read more than the first and last sentence of my post?
You can do whatever you want. I don't wear my watch above my biceps but thanks for asking.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Why so harsh? I just recommended to try a run without the phone. Did you read more than the first and last sentence of my post?
You can do whatever you want. I don't wear my watch above my biceps but thanks for asking.
Harsho_O How is asking a simple question to your post considered "harsh"? Should I have bracketed the question in feathers and started with "Pretty please tell us..."? :D

The OP wants MORE info (mapping) and not less. So recommending he/she try not using the iPhone seems counterintuitive to the OP's stated goals. I just thought you might have some unknown to me logical reason to suggest it (your pseudonym is iPhysicist;)).

Last edited:

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
:D that is correct.

Thing is, if you just want more and more data you also collect more and more errors. And in this case the errors add. But your right with what you said. The OP does wants more mapping info and not less so maybe my suggestion was not appropriate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.