running without battery but power adapter only

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shaktimage, May 4, 2009.

1. shaktimage macrumors member

I use my macbookpro a lot at my desk, power adaptor plugged with an UPS in case of power failure for my external HDs. Can i remove the battery to preserve its life time? (like any window laptop), would it damage anything?... Thanks

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A300g Safari/525.20)

You should never run without the battery: Macs will throttle down the processor speed if you do.

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're not actually preserving the lifetime of it by not using it.

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

well, if you popped it in every once and a wile and calibrated it it would be, well and doing the proper storage thing to it. but down clocking to like 1ghz would suck, and defeat the purpose of having a new computer lol

6. magamo macrumors 6502

I'm guessing the magsafe connector, which is intended to protect your MBP, might kill it.

7. shaktimage thread starter macrumors member

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

doing it wont kill it, but if you knock off the cord all your unsaved info is lost. From what ive seen its just slows it way down and you have to worry about pulling the charger off

9. sperry macrumors newbie

DVD not working without BATTERY

One of my Macbook pro battery cells swelled up and so I am in Mexico without a battery for a bit. Last night my DVD player worked, and tonight it will not accept the DVD. Has anyone had this experience and/or have a helpful suggestions ??? Thanks

10. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

OK, true, but if you're just putting the battery in to calibrate it every once in a while and not actually using it, what's the point of having a laptop? lol

11. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Never thought about doing that, glad I came in here and read that it's a bad idea. :p

12. Heavertron macrumors regular

lithium ion based batteries actually have very specific requirements for storage and usage cycles to ensure a long life. Best ask google about these, but the short answer has already been given above :)

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios