Running WordPress in Parallels somehow?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by majordude, May 2, 2012.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I got tasked with updating a company's website. It's an existing WP install and an update will take a few weeks so I don't want to screw around with the live site.

I thought about running WP on my iMac and this morning discovered MAMP.

But I am reluctant to install software that might put stuff all over my Mac or add to the overhead. (I don't know if MAMP does this but I'm worried it does!)

So I'm wondering if there is a way to install something in a Parallels window and run WP there. That way it's all self contained and plenty fast for my Mac to handle.

Any thoughts?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

So instead of installing MAMP you would rather install Parallels and a full version of Windows on the basis that you're worried about "overhead"? Seriously?

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

MAMP works fine. Consumes less resource than windows.

4. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Windows is on-demand. SQL drivers are running all the time, no?

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, you could turn them off when you're done, or uninstall everything.

But to answer your question: Yes, you could set up a virtual Windows box, then use it to install Windows versions of Apache, MySQL, and PHP, then install WordPress. Then blow away the whole VM when you're done.

I think it would be easier just to do it on your own Mac though. I don't think I'd be worried about overhead (again, turn off or uninstall when done if you're really concerned).

6. majordude, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012

majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Okay, I'm gonna do MAMP! (Crossing fingers)

If I want more than one WP test site do I need the Pro version or can MAMP handle more than one WP?

BTW, from the MAMP site:

MAMP installs a local server environment in a matter of seconds on your Mac OS X computer, be it PowerBook or iMac. Like similar packages from the Windows- and Linux-world, MAMP comes free of charge.

MAMP is installed in the typical Mac fashion: very easily. MAMP will not compromise any existing Apache installation already running with your OS X. You can install Apache, PHP and MySQL without starting a script or having to change any configuration files!

Furthermore, if MAMP is no longer needed, it is sufficient to delete the MAMP folder and everything returns to its original status (i.e. MAMP does not modify any of the "normal" OS X).
    :)

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Shouldn't be a problem. Each WP installation will be in its own directory and keeps its own set of configuration files, and you set each up with its own unique MySQL database and user. They will each not be aware of the other installations.

There are also ways for WP sites to share the same installation, but you probably don't need to do that.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

MAMP is fine for local testing of multiple sites. Just install them in different folders.

MAMP has an ON / OFF switch.
    MAMP pro has 30 day demo.

9. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Or you could just activate the Apache/PHP/MySQL instances that come installed on your Mac by default and install Wordpress in ~/Sites.

10. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Thanks everyone!

I installed the free version and it ROCKS! :D

11. glutenenvy macrumors regular

glutenenvy

Depending on what you're going to be doing to the site, it will still be a surprise when you update everything from the development environment to the live server. An option is to copy the current install to a subdomain on their server and work on that copy. Everything will be available and tested during development and there will be fewer surprises.

Web pages and posts have the option to not be public. They can be edited on the live website.

If you are working on a theme, I've seen WP plugins before that allow you to use a specific theme for a specific person. The theme can be edited on the live website.

The only real problems are bad plugins and a hosed sql database. With ftp or shell access simply deleting a bad plugin will bring a WP site, down due to the bad plugin, back online. A database backup will take care of the database problem.

So for content and themes, you may be better off working the live server.