Runtastic audio feedback via BT Headset?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by createch2, Dec 28, 2015.

1. createch2 macrumors newbie

I want to use Runtastic on my Apple Watch, but I can't get it managed to have the audio feedback / music playing on the Bluetooth headset (Plantronics Back Beat Fit). As soon as I start the workout, the complete Audio feedback is on the iPhone speaker.
    If I put the iPhone away (i.e. flight mode), Runtastic prompts that the workout can't be started because the iPhone is missing.

I have to say that the BT connection and music playback with the Watch built in Apps work very well.
    I tried to reinstall the iPhone and Watch app, but that didn't help.

What is wrong?

2. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

This sounds like an issue with Runtastic. Are you sure it supports the audio feedback on the Watch when the iPhone is not being used for your runs? I only use the native Workout App with BT music when I run, so I have never tried Runtastic.

TxWatch

3. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Hmmm....does sound like an app issue.

Run keeper works great with the same set up

4. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I took 2 minutes to look up the Runtastic Watch App and here is what I found:

https://www.runtastic.com/blog/en/technology/runtastic-and-apple-watch/

Runtastic
    With Runtastic on Apple Watch, you’ll be able to start a session, view your activity history and your statistics all from your wrist. When you open Runtastic on your Apple Watch and go running, you will be able to take advantage of the Glances feature. You’ll be able to see your speed, distance, pace and how many caloriesyou’ve burned – all at a glance! Please note, you will need to take your iPhone with you as Apple Watch uses the iPhone’s GPS to track your activity.

TxWatch

5. createch2 thread starter macrumors newbie

If Runtastic is tied to the iPhone, its complete useless to have it on the Apple Watch. I was under the impression that the "tracking" needs GPS/iPhone, but not recording the activity itself.
    I tried Runkeeper as well and got no feedback at all?

6. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I haven't tried to go without the phone.

Run keeper has ability to track and estimate your run, without the iPhone. It uses some algorithm. You run with the phone a certain number of times, and then it can track your run without a phone.

I am not sure why your Bluetooth connection to the Apple Watch isn't working.

7. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I agree. You realize we are not the creators of Runtastic, correct? :rolleyes:

I suggest you post your comments in the App Store and ask for a refund.

TxWatch

8. createch2 thread starter macrumors newbie

thats not the purpose of this request. Of course I asked the runtastic support, but feedback is pending.
    So all I am looking for is some help to get this problem solved.

9. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I guess I don't understand your request. If the problem is with that app only, it's an app issue and we can't help you. Period.

If it's is with all apps, it may be your watch. Try a factory reset.

But since music works fine, and one apps doesn't (runtastic), it sounds like an app issue. If removing the app, restarting the phone, and installing the app again doesn't work, then the only people who can help you is the app developer.

10. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

If Runkeeper uses the published calibration of the Watch with the iPhone, it will not work. I have tried multiple times to "calibrate" my Watch using the information from Apple's Website and I have found it to be severely lacking with Watch OS 2.0.1 and 2.1. In my case, the distance and calories calculated are off by a factor of 1.3 when running without my phone. (i.e. 7 mile GPS run is calculated as 9.1 miles by the Watch)

I use the Workout App mainly for step counting, so it does not bother me that the Watch is off. If it matters to you, then you will either have to run with your phone all the time or you will have to buy a GPS Watch like the Garmin.

TxWatch

11. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

Fair enough. It is pretty clear from their website and your own experience that what you are asking is not possible until Apple decides to add a GPS to the Watch.

TXWatch

12. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I would assume your right. Personally I don't know what run keeper does.

I always have my phone on me in a run. It's tucked away in a flip belt, can't even feel it is there. Beyond safety reason (getting hurt on a trail run), I like having my Spotify music with me, and being able to be contacted. So my phone, with the Apple Watch and my Bluetooth earphones are the perfect match. The watch allows me to do and see what I need during my run, without having to pull my phone out. For my needs, a gps watch would be less useful.

I was just responding to the OPs questions.

13. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

That would be nice. Guess there is always future generations.

14. createch2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I never asked for GPS or something else, just asking for Runtastic in Apple watch standalone mode.
    If its not working standalone, then I am fine and will switch to another app.