Rural/Dial-Up Internet Speeds?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ebook, Oct 9, 2008.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

This is a pretty basic question, but I just would like some help confirming it. We are moving out to the sticks where no DSL lives so our options are either satellite, dial-up, or some sort of cell service. I have been scared away by so many bad reviews for Hughesnet and WildBlue that I'm just not sure I can justify the price even if it is faster at times ... that leaves me with dial-up or cell service.

Right now we are testing out the Verizon deal and it works. I'm getting 110/100 kbps (download/upload). So, is that going to be faster than a regular dial-up line with the modem in my old Airport? That is the basic question I have...

2. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Yeah that is faster than dial-up is going to be. The fastest dial-up can go is 56kbps. So with your Verizon service you're getting roughly 2 times the speed.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have a few coworkers that use wireless services in their rural area. It seems to be the way to go for 384/768 down and 128 up.

4. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

You must not have very good EVDO coverage in your area if you are connected on EVDO. Might want to check to see if Alltel or Sprint offer it. AT&T's EDGE would even be better speeds than that. You may just need an antenna and possibly an amp if your signal is real weak though. What kind of signal strength do you get with your air card?

I live out in a rural area as well with no DSL/Cable coverage so I had AT&T EDGE for almost two years since I didn't have EVDO coverage at the time I signed up. I got around 218kbps down usually. A few weeks ago I just switched over to Alltel since I can get EVDO and I'm now getting a max of around 1260 kbps down and 100 kbps up on average.

5. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help everyone. I kind of had the feeling that it is twice as fast as dial-up would be (56k modem and all). In my area the only Verizon and AT&T stores are in Des Moines (I'm about 45 miles southeast and about 20 miles out of the EVDO range. So, would AT&T Edge be faster if it is in my area?

Also, I am using an external antenna and a double usb thing. I usually have 2 or 3 bars, but that is just with my antenna sitting on a window ledge. I took it outside one time though and really didn't get a signal difference.

6. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

http://www.antennasearch.com/

Put in your address and location there and see what towers show up in your area and how far away you are from them. If you don't have EVDO coverage in your area then yes AT&T's Edge would be faster, or at least it should be, but I don't know that it would be worth it to you to pay $59.99/month for Edge.

Have you called Verizon, Sprint, and Alltel all three to have them check their coverage areas for EVDO in your area? If you're in an EVDO fringe area you can setup a pretty powerful antenna outside and pull in the signal.

If you know the location of the tower you can use one of these parabolic grids and point it right at the tower. I was already getting -75dBm signal with 5 bars at my house but with one of 900Mhz models of these I got it down to -55dBm.

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/item.aspx?id=1718

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

The modem is rated at 56kbps but the maximum connection speed would be 53.3kbps and that is with a perfect connection the the ISP. The reason for this is the FCC places a restriction on the power output of devices connected to the phone network.

8. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, that antenna stuff sounds pretty cool ... but way over my head. Do you know of any good online sources where I can read up?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod