Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
This morning on the way in to work I was listening to KFI out of Los Angeles and right before the top of the hour newscast listened as Rush Limbaugh stated that although he may well be mocked in the electronic press, he swears when his iPhone is completely charged he turns it completely off after unplugging it. Leaves it off for a minute or two and then powers it back on.

Says this simple trick gives him more than enough battery life to work the full day whereas before he wouldn't last till mid-afternoon.

What is your take? I think it's worth trying, but I remain a bit skeptical.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
This morning on the way in to work I was listening to KFI out of Los Angeles and right before the top of the hour newscast listened as Rush Limbaugh stated that although he may well be mocked in the electronic press, he swears when his iPhone is completely charged he turns it completely off after unplugging it. Leaves it off for a minute or two and then powers it back on.

Says this simple trick gives him more than enough battery life to work the full day whereas before he wouldn't last till mid-afternoon.

He might be imagining this, needs testing though.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
We'll I have noticed that a lot of times after charging overnight, immediately after unplugging the battery drops to 98%.
If I don't reboot, battery drains faster than if I reboot the device. So I'm not sure what's going on but...

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA

It probably has something to do with all apps being closed off and iOS completely restarting to the point where everything is running freshly. As opposed to running everything in the background from the previous day.

Phillyphil0302

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
NYC
Believe it or not, this actually works. I've been doing this for a couple years now and seems like it's had positive affect on battery life. Although, my method differs slightly from his, result looks to be same. I power down my iPhone still pluged in, where as, Rush unplugs his iPhone, then powers down.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
I love that we're taking iPhone tips from Rush Limbaugh :D

I'll give it a shot.. although my 5S already has pretty decent battery life.

Theufguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
I can verify this tip works, ever since 7.1 I've been getting particularly bad drain with my i5. So I woke up this morning powered it off while getting ready for work I turned it on and used it heavily for two hours. Music/videos streaming through Bluetooth, Web surfing, Facebook, Twitter here are my stats through a couple hours.
2yryry7a.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'll have to try this, though I seriously doubt this works. What it might do is adjust the phone's reading of the charge. That is what it reports is a bit more accurate then before.

So it performs the same but the charge level being reported is a bit more accurate.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I'll have to try this, though I seriously doubt this works. What it might do is adjust the phone's reading of the charge. That is what it reports is a bit more accurate then before.

So it performs the same but the charge level being reported is a bit more accurate.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. But I'll try it tomorrow.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I just powered my iPhone 5 off and back on. Prior to turning off, the battery was at 94%. When I turned it back on, it showed 99% initially but in the last two minutes has dropped down to 97%. Interesting.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
It probably has something to do with all apps being closed off and iOS completely restarting to the point where everything is running freshly. As opposed to running everything in the background from the previous day.

This. If I leave GPS apps on, and other backgrounded apps like Skype, it will destroy my battery life. Restarting shuts down these backgroundedd apps. Alternately, you can just shut them down individually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.